London Eye in evening?

Can anybody tell me if there would be a long wait time to get on the London Eye on a Thursday or Friday evening? We want to go after sunset, but we don't want to have to pay for the express ticket if we don't need to. We will be there in late August. We would like to go on Thursday, but we will probably be too tired from the 10 hour flight to stay up that late. Thanks!

There are two queues - one for tickets and one to board. Buy your tickets in advance to avoid the first but the queue to board is rarely longer than 15 to 20 minutes so the express option doesn't save much.

I personally wouldn't pre buy. And for sure not the higher cost Express tix. Weather can mess up the best laid plans for the viewing. I'd just show up. The cars hold pretty many and the lines move along.

Edited by eandj

If you can get online at your hotel, you can still pre-book on the day. I would say that on the two times I have been, we did not pre-book, the weather was good and the queues were not that bad. Gives you a chance to chat to the people who may be sharing your car too and exchange photos.

I wouldnt pay for the express ticket, but I would book in advance, so I will have to wait only to get in. Last time i was there (Thursday afternnon) was waiting for around 15 minutes (max). not that bad. Definately better day time than night.