Cuba or not?

tiessa

We are going. Both of us have always wanted to go. As a kid I can remember my uncle talking about how beautiful it was. The biggest reason we are going so soon is to really see this country before it become Americanized.

We are going in three weeks and I am very excited. I have always wanted to visit Cuba and want to get there before there is a McDonalds on every other corner.

Marion

I have always wanted to visit Cuba and want to get there before there is a McDonalds on every other corner.

In that case, you probably have about 10 years in which to travel.

And when you understand how bad most of the food can be, you'll be begging for that McDonalds !

I have many friends who visit Cuba frequently and tell me the food is excellent, depending on what you order and where you go to eat of course.

We will be on a cruise and the ship's food will be great. However I will make certain I try as much of the Cuban cuisine as I can when we are in the ports of Santiago de Cuba, Cienfuegos and during our two days in Havana. Travel for me is the opportunity to meet people across the globe and experience their culture and food. I will try anything once and often I spit it out and other times I find new foods to love. If I can eat guinea pigs in Peru I can survive anything that is put on my plate in Cuba.

Marion

And when you understand how bad most of the food can be, you'll be begging for that McDonalds !

Clearly a case of Your Mileage May Vary. We found the hotel breakfasts were acceptable, but nothing better. The buffet dinner served at the Hotel Nacionale was inedible. (As people vacated their tables at dinner, the tops were littered with plates with lots of left overs. People would go back to the buffet line trying lots of things in the hope that something would be tasty and well-prepared. Sadly...) Happily, the food at the privately owned/run paladars was fresh and good and, occasionally, gourmet excellent.

Some of the success came from knowing what to order: fish was fresh and fabulous. Chicken and pork was widely available and well prepared. Beef was good only if it was imported from Argentina which ran up the price considerably.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I have many friends who visit Cuba frequently and tell me the food is excellent, depending on what you order and where you go to eat of course.

Look for my recommendations about types of food in post # 79.

In Havana, definitely make a reservation at Paladar des Mercaderes (Calle Mercaderes #207) in Old Havana. Amazing food and great atmosphere.

"fish was fresh and fabulous."

I had the worst piece of fish in my life anywhere in the world in Cuba (gorgeous Colonial style restaurant on Obispo that did have some decent music though). And watched my companion eat several more in subsequent days at other places that looked equally awful.

I assume they were frozen and from China or something. Thin fillets (thin as a cell phone), dried out and leathery, with no flavor--almost unpalatable. Hard to know ordering off the menu when you can't see the plates of others'.

YMMV per restaurant. My advice: Don't assume anything (like that fish next to the ocean is fresh) LOL

I had the worst piece of fish in my life anywhere in the world in Cuba (gorgeous Colonial style restaurant on Obispo that did have some decent music though). And watched my companion eat several more in subsequent days at other places that looked equally awful.

I assume they were frozen and from China or something. Thin fillets (thin as a cell phone), dried out and leathery, with no flavor--almost unpalatable. Hard to know ordering off the menu when you can't see the plates of others'.

YMMV per restaurant. My advice: Don't assume anything (like that fish next to the ocean is fresh) LOL

How did you choose your restaurants? We relied on research prior to our departure and the recommendations of our private guide. We didn't go any place because it looked good.

Bottom line: Food in Cuba may be inedible or it may be delicious. YMMV.

I am not a person who usually goes running around (any) town to certain restaurants. Not my style. I also usually don't have trouble finding good places to eat, though, in most countries. However, this next time in Cuba, I am probably going to make reservations at a few of the places highly recommended by gringo visitors, although price is no guarantee of quality as I also found out. I also don't hire private guides. Also not my style. And my casa hosts took me to a decent, but not wonderful, restaurant of their choice, so having local advice is not a guarantee either.