Wheelchair/Handicap excursions for Cozumel

rozychica

Hi! We are traveling Aug 22-27 to Cozumel and Progreso with Carnival Liberty.

My boyfriend is a paraplegic and is wheelchair bound 100%. He can transfer out of his wheelchair (manual chair) and fold up the chair to put in a trunk etc.

We are trying to figure out things to do during our port in Cozumel and Progreso (Cozumel is our main focus). Carnival is no help in advising us on what to choose in regards to excursions.

I would like to find an accessible beach. Or even an excursion to go on.

Any advice? Thanks!!

Hi! We are traveling Aug 22-27 to Cozumel and Progreso with Carnival Liberty.

My boyfriend is a paraplegic and is wheelchair bound 100%. He can transfer out of his wheelchair (manual chair) and fold up the chair to put in a trunk etc.

We are trying to figure out things to do during our port in Cozumel and Progreso (Cozumel is our main focus). Carnival is no help in advising us on what to choose in regards to excursions.

I would like to find an accessible beach. Or even an excursion to go on.

Any advice? Thanks!!

Cozumel - The taxi's are 8-12 passenger vans so transferring due to height of the seat may be an issue. If that's not an issue the taxi ill stow a foldable manual wheelchair Though there are some beaches that have paths up to the sand the sand there are no beaches that have an accessible on the sand to get close to the water. Nor am I aware of any that rent beach wheelchairs to go onto the sand and near the water.

Here's a link that give you some indication of Cozumel's over accessibility http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/cozumel-disabled-access

Progress - the shuttle from the pier into town is not wheelchair accessible.

Perhaps someone else on this forum can provide more information.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Cozumel: There are a couple accessible taxis and a some that will load the wheelchair and assist getting into the vehicle. You just need to express your needs to the person directing taxis at the terminal. The taxis that do this usually add $5 to the established price.

As far as beach, I am aware that a couple resorts have private beaches with some limited accessibility. Maybe someone else can give the names. Or you might try searching for beach resorts, Cozumel.

Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park is accessible, with limitations. It is an easy taxi trip and we did enjoy a few hours there.

As far as Progreso, we cancelled our cruise when we found out the pier was five miles long and the pier trolley is not accessible.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

We were in Cozumel in December 2015. It was our first cruise and first port we had no idea what we would be able to do. I did a little research but not much. We were lucky there was not many ships in port that day so was able to get a wheelchair accessible van taxi. We took an island tour, the driver would take us anywhere we wanted but we let him pick. We really had an enjoyable day. Our drivers name was Miguel and his taxi's number was 385. We went on another cruise in February but there was five ships in port since we had not reserved a taxi we were out of luck.

http://thisiscozumel.com/things-to-do/76-tours-and-excursions/1175-cozumel-wheelchair-accessible-tours/

We paid $80.00 and my husband gave Miguel a good tip because the he was so nice, was willing to take us anywhere we wanted, and stop as often as we wanted. There was only one other ship in port that day so it was easy to get the taxi. Next time we were in Cozumel there was five ships in port since we had not arranged for a taxi we didn't get to venture out. If your boyfriend can transfer well you could probably take a regular taxi and store the chair in the trunk. Since I am older now my transfers suck so I stick with the vans with lifts. You could try and look at the port of call list on this forum and see if anyone has suggestions on accessible excursions.

Thank you very much! He can still transfer from his chair to almost any vehicle (sometimes needs help if it is too high). I am hoping we can find a taxi from the port and find a few things to do. I am really hoping for a beach with beach wheelchairs.