Manhattan Cruise Port alcohol check

kadey

Just curious….and I know curiosity killed the cat (!)…..we recently cruised out of Baltimore and I was surprised at how vigilant security was when checking passengers for bringing on alcohol. They checked any hand held water bottles and then there was a separate very detailed check of all soda and water cases. Is that just the US ports? We are leaving out of Manhattan this weekend. Has anyone sailed out of there recently and experienced this? FYI…we had nothing we shouldn't have had in Baltimore and will have nothing we shouldn't have in NY.Just curious!!

Yes, they check for alcohol. It's mainly the cruise line that dictates how thorough the check is, not the port, because each cruise line sets its own rules and policies about bringing alcohol on their ships. I can't say whether they check water bottles as I never carry one and I've never paid attention to what security is doing to other passengers.

Edited by njhorseman

Maybe it depends on the line, maybe it depends on the person. The last two times we sailed out of NYC (HAL and NCL) I had a bottle in my carry-on. The bag went on the belt, through the security scanner and that was that. Same thing for my b-i-l, who was right behind me. I have no idea what the several people ahead of us had in their carry-on, but I did not see anyone open and look in any piece of carry-on after it went through the scanner.