Coz diving?

jimw

What dive shop does Princess use on Cozumel?

Before you tell me to not sign up with the cattle boat--I have a bunch of OBC and will use it to dive. This though, will be the first ship trip in 20 cruises-we usually shore dive or arrange our own with a shop of choice...........

Sorry.. No clue... Cozumel is about the LAST place on earth I would want to use a ship's excursion... But look on here maybe a page or two.. I know someone posted about who they use.

Can't you use the OBC for the drink package or something else? Cozumel is one of the great diving spots in the Caribbean, and on most people's Top 10 in the world.

Wish I could help you, but for the life of me I can't remember who was used when I did a scuba excursion at Coz years ago. If one of the Princess excursions is for cenote diving over by Playa, GO FOR IT, it was fantastic!

I can't say for sure, but it seems that Sand Dollar is often used by many cruise lines.

I know you didn't want to be told it- but of all the places to dive off a cruise ship, Cozumel is easily the first one I'd book on my own. The service of the valet ops in Cozumel is fabulous, and it is SO easy to do Cozumel on your own.

I'd just stock up on the chocolate covered strawberries on board...

We dove through Princess in Feb 2014 and they used the Dive House. They were good. The first dive (deeper) is shorter than the second to allow surface interval time. They are on a time schedule to get you back within the excursion time frame. Hope this helps

We dove through Princess in Feb 2014 and they used the Dive House. They were good. The first dive (deeper) is shorter than the second to allow surface interval time. They are on a time schedule to get you back within the excursion time frame. Hope this helps

How long were the dives?

How long were the dives?

That's hard to say... Dive time is HIGHLY dependent on the depth of the particular dive sites and the exertion of energy (currents, excitement, distance, experience, etc). I don't know about you, but my experience is that for "normal" recreational dives (versus very deep or technical dives) on the mass tourist dive boats, there is no preset dive time. The dive master usually instructs all divers to signal him or her when you reach a predetermined air pressure left in your tank (say 1000 psi). At that point, they will be sure to be heading back to the ascent point (if not already doing so). Many will also request to be signaled at 500 psi. They want to be sure that everyone has enough air for a safety stop even if no decompression stops are required.

Therefore the dive time is usually based on the diver who sucks air the fastest. If you and your group is more experienced, you'll get longer dive times than new divers.

That's hard to say...

I was responding specifically to someone who said they dove with an op that seemed to be on a time schedule. So I was wondering how much time the op allowed. (I've heard some say 45 minutes and up, for instance.) She said the first dive was shorter than the second -to allow surface interval time. Not because the depth uses the air faster; which makes me think the op has set time limits regardless of what profile they dive.

I prefer to use an op that lets me dive my computer/air, and sends up buddy pairs (or individuals, but I prefer my buddy, even though he shortens my dives) as they run out, not the whole group. I've found that even with late starts, we still always finished our dive with plenty of time for people to return leisurely to the ship- there was no need to limit dive times artifically.

Edited by skittl1321

Thank You crystalbaby! If I remember correctly the dive times are listed in the excursion listings on the Princess website--I remember thinking they were pretty short.....I will check the site again and Thanks!

Edited by jimw

• 3 weeks later...

We are just back from the Caribbean Princess 5 day to Cayman and Cozumel. The dive op in Coz is Dive House and they did a great job for us. There were about 15 divers on board. I guess they were all from Princess although Carnival Freedom was parked next to Princess and some divers from that ship could have been with us. Dive House used 2 or more divemasters plus the captain and a deck hand giving everyone any help needed. They did a great briefing and let the divers choose what they wanted to see. We went with wildlife and saw several Nurse Sharks and a Hawksbill turtle. Some of the divers saw a Manta. I saw a gigantic lobster, and a large and a tiny Spotted Drum !! Great viz mostly of 80 ft or more. Water Temp 82F.

I am guessing that Carnival uses Dive House as well since both lines are part of Carnival Corp. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks for reporting back.

What were your dive times? Did you go up as a group or as individual/buddy pairs as needed?

In Cozumel, the marine park regulations require 1 divemaster per 8 divers, so a boat of 15 would have to have had 2 DMs. If you had more, that's even better. (Not sure what you mean by 2 or more, was it 2 or was it more?) I am still always very nervous about such large numbers on a boat. In an emergency, it is much easier to recall and board a smaller number of divers.

Edited by skittl1321

On the 1st dive they put us into 2 groups, 2nd dive was 1 larger group. 15 divers was not a full boat. We were on Dive House 3 and had room for another 10 divers.........The DM's and other crew were very good--the best briefing in recent years, and great in the water. Dive times on both dives were in the 50 minute TBT--started up at 40 minutes.