Marrakesh: NY Times Profile, Ideas, Tips!

TLCOhio

From the New York Times Travel Section tomorrow morning, they will have this headline: "36 Hours in Marrakesh" with this sub-headline: "In Morocco’s “Jewel of the South,” the streets and bazaars spill over with artistry, whether it be in architecture, cuisine, crafts or fine art."

Here is a small sampling of the writer's story highlights: "From the narrow mazelike passages and bazaars of the old medina to the modern boulevards of the Gueliz district, a crop of new museums, galleries, gardens and indie creative spaces is showcasing the talents of Moroccan and international artists. The artistry is also spilling over into the city’s long-admired culinary and artisanal traditions, melding 21st-century materials and styles with classic Moroccan recipes and handwork. And with a continuing hotel surge, from new luxury palaces to renovated centuries-old private homes, the city is easier than ever to visit."

There are many ideas and options suggested in this profile, especially as related to the arts, dining, etc. Several nice pictures included, a good map, etc. We have not yet been to visit Morocco, but have it on out future "to-do" priority list.

Any others, experienced from visiting there, have any top tips, secrets, successes, etc., to share from visiting in this interesting areas of the world?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/02/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-marrakesh-morocco.html?hpw&rref=travel&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 29,291 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

I was in Morocco for several days, including Marrakesh, late last year. I've wanted to visit "romantic Marrakesh" for a long time, but have to admit that I felt a little let down by her. The city is not large (at least, not the area where tourists spend time), and was very crowded. (Not Djema al-Fna, of course, that place is huge...!)

On the other hand, the city was expecting a major world conference shortly after we left, and all the workers were out beautifying the city -- repairing sidewalks, planting flowers, etc. It did look very nice.

Be wary of the "new hotels" that are being built. They are put up, in most cases, very cheaply. You can drive around outside the walled city and see endless avenues of them, many apparently left unfinished (e.g., not actively being built). The lobbies are grandiose, but the rooms are jerry-built -- you'll find door knobs fall off, toilets won't flush, various lights don't work.

What I can recommend are the Majorelle Gardens -- a lovely place and very different to what I was imagining. Also, try to find one of the palaces that have been converted into restaurants for an evening meal. Yes, it's touristy, but the chance to see the beautiful interiors of these places is worth it.

The bazaar was a bit disappointing. I liked the bazaar in another Moroccan city we visited better, but of course nothing really compares to the Khan el-Khalili in Cairo or the Al-Madina Souq in Aleppo (now mostly destroyed :().

I enjoyed the food in Morocco very much. Great "fusion" of several cuisines with a tasty outcome.