Marseille: where does MSC Splendida dock? What to do in a day ?

Pinkali

We are reaching Marseille on a Saturday in december. Would like to take the port shuttle. Can any one help me regarding what to see in a day in Marseille? Where does MSc Splendida dock at Marseille? If we get the port bus where does it take us? Can anyone share a map of that place? I am trying google but have not yet succeeded in getting my directions right for this city.

Thank you

If you just search this forum there are quite a few posts about Marseille. Your ship will dock out at the commercial port which is a couple of miles from town (not really walkable). There will be a shuttle bus (for a fee) that will drop passengers right at the old port in town. From that spot you can choose to simply walk around Marseille or you could walk (or take a local bus) to the St Charles Train Station (which is adjacent to the local bus station).

As what to do, many cruisers think of Marseille as the gateway to Provence. The closest major Provencial city is Aix en Provence which can be reached via tour, train or regional bus. There are many other tours offered to various places in Provence and, of course, you could also choose to rent a car and go where you please.

Hank

P.S. If you want a map of the city simply Google "Marseille France map"

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks. I am actually confused about where to start the plan from. So the shuttle takes us to the old port. Is it the same place called Joliette?

Joliette is apparently an old term (seldom used) that refers to the small port area adjacent to the Old Town. So I guess it is essentially the same as when I said old port (Vieux Port). Also keep in mind that if you plan on taking either the train or a regional bus it might make more sense to grab a taxi at your ship's pier (best to share with another couple) and have it take you directly to the St Charles train station. Not only will this save you time, but if you have 4 in that taxi it will not cost you much more then paying for a shuttle bus. And the taxi gets you right to the station rather then you having to make your own way from the Vieux Port to the station.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
Joliette is apparently an old term (seldom used) that refers to the small port area adjacent to the Old Town. So I guess it is essentially the same as when I said old port (Vieux Port). Also keep in mind that if you plan on taking either the train or a regional bus it might make more sense to grab a taxi at your ship's pier (best to share with another couple) and have it take you directly to the St Charles train station. Not only will this save you time, but if you have 4 in that taxi it will not cost you much more then paying for a shuttle bus. And the taxi gets you right to the station rather then you having to make your own way from the Vieux Port to the station.

Hank

Thanks for your help. I have made up my plan. Shall share with all once i come back. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a Thread with some suggestions for your day in Marseilles:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093092

Here's a Thread with transportation info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2075639&highlight=shuttle

We did a boat trip to the Calanques and it was a lot of fun! Would do it again! Next time, I'd also like to see Palais Longchamp. I would like to go back to this city, I felt I only scratched the surface!

Enjoy your day!

Edited by syesmar

• 1 month later...

I have been reading and would like a confirmation.

I will be in Marseilles on MSC, and will stay in town after disembarking for few days in June.

I need to look for accommodations, which area is the closest to the port?....Would that be Vieux Port?

Thanks

Hank