Not-too-strenuous excursions?

wheaton24

I use oxygen, but not a wheelchair. My issue is not the onboard accessibility but the excursions. I can walk ok, although I need to carry on oxygen concentrator on wheels. I can do some stairs and small inclines, but not too steep.

So what upscale/luxury riverboats (and itineraries) have relatively easy excursions? I don't want to just sit on a bus but Level 3 and 4 activity excursions are too difficult for me. Ideally, I'd love to spend some time in either Amsterdam, Prague or Budapest. Any suggestions?:confused:

We did Viking's Grand European last spring and for most of the included excursions they would include a less strenuous version which was helpful for my wife who was recovering from a sprained ankle. There was also the option of going out on our own; many of the stops were close to city centers and points of interest.

We were on two Uniworld cruises last summer (the Seine and the Rhone) where my mobility was limited and I was using a cane for anything more strenuous than walking around the ship. They offered 'gentle walkers' excursions. The group was small (usually no more than 10 but it varied according to the excursion) and made accomodations such as taking little tourist trains through towns instead of walking (Rouen, Avignon and Tain-L'Hermitage), using taxis up and down the large hill in Vivier, slower walking, etc. When we compared our excursions with those of my brother in sister-in-law I felt like we didn't miss anything. In addition the guides and the cruise director could not have been more solicitous.

The previous summer we were on a Uniworld Budapest to Amsterdam cruise and while I didn't need the gentle walkers group then I know it was offered and I presume it offered the same sort of accomodations.

I suggest you have a look at previous reviews here on the river board. Some people have posted their journeys in detail. You can get an idea of what might be suitable. Apart from the Douro where people have specifically said that all excursion where a bus ride and not much to do right at the shore, in Europe, all other rivers are a mix of close to the town centre or a little bit further away. The most popular route (by a margin to a similar one on the Danube) is Amsterdam to Basel or vice versa. A few ports are a little bit away from the town and others are walking distance to "the action". In some of these places, if the excursion does not suit you, you can hire a private guide to get around, or you can just order a taxi to get you to a convenient spot.

Prague has the disadvantage of not being on a navigable river (safe for CroisiEurope who do it) for the river cruise ships. Therefore your trip to or from a ship will include a bus tour of - I think - three to four hours.

On a Rhine tour if you would like to see a castle that could be tricky; you will find most of those excursions too strenous. Marksburg castle is definitely out. There are some palaces that are accessible, though.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid