Hiring a car w/driver for the day

jaimemayo

Hello, I will be on the HAL Volendam. It leaves December 8 from Singapore and will be a two week cruise, ending up in Singapore again. I took a cruise to Indonesia a couple of years ago and it was super easy to hire a car with driver for very reasonable rates. I much prefer this than going with a ton of other pax on HAL shore excursions. But how easy is this to arrange on site? I am mainly interested in booking a car with driver on site in Malaysian Sabah (Kota Kinabalu), Brunei (Muara), Cambodia (Sihanoukville) and Vietnam (Nha Trang and Phu My). A day trip to Saigon might be possible from Phu My. Has anyone successfully hired a car and driver for a reasonable price in any of these places? Thanks!

Sihanoukville (aka "Snooky") is very cheap & easy without pre-booking, same as you found in Indonesia.

Mostly vans (for any distance, such as Ream Nat Park) or tuk-tuks (just for around town). I'd recommend a van (or car if there is one) because there's plenty to see & do out-of-town. They usually come with an English-speaking guide plus a driver, though just an English-speaking driver would be good enough. A van sounds more expensive than a car, but like Bali etc they're ridiculously cheap even if there's just two of you. Or like us you might want to share with others that you meet on the ship or the pier, more for the camaraderie than the cost-sharing.

Ditto our experience in Vietnam and in Malaysia (more expensive than Vietnam or Cambodia but still cheap), but they were all different ports to yours.

Saigon. We were on a small ship which berthed in the city - but for the 90+ minute drive from Phu My, folk were strongly recommending booking a transfer/tour over the internet though lately there seem to be more available taxis etc on the day. That's second-hand info., picked up on CC.

If you can pre-book just transfers each way that's good enough, the main city sights are all walkable from somewhere central such as the Rex Hotel - where a lot of ships' transfers drop/collect their passengers.

If your ship overnites in Phu My, strongly consider an overnite hotel in Saigon - hotels are good but pretty cheap, you avoid doubling-back, and you get to enjoy an evening in the city.

Nha Trang itself doesn't have a lot to offer - consider crossing on the cablecar to Vin Pearl island tourist resort/park (though it's hardly "Vietnam"), or a tour outside the town.

For cars/vans negotiated on the day you need to haggle - it's expected. But because it's already cheap, every time we at least made up the difference with tips - their need is greater than ours.

You don't need me to tell you than S E Asia is a great place to visit.:)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks, John Bull, for your speedy and very informative response. I have been to Saigon before so your suggestion of just taking the ship "shuttle" into the city is a good one. There is no overnight, though. But I do love the area around the Hotel Rex. I kind of thought that Nha Trang by itself wouldn't have much. I wonder why HAL is going here instead of an overnight in Phu My?

I agree that SE Asia is a wonderful place to visit. And yes, I too am generous with tips. These places are so cheap that it's incredible.

Hi, I think it is really good if you can contact with Mr.Tien via cruisevn.com to book a car rent with private driver. He is also a very good tour guide who can give you wonderful exploration and experience in term of Saigon's attractions. Another suggestion is about local lifestyle. Don't miss it when stepping in Saigon.

I used to travel Vietnam with my parents after I finished my postgraduate 2 months ago. It seemed I treasured lots of cheers and experience when I could directly immerse in Saigon in a whole day. I could taste delicious foods, meet local people, visit iconic points. I valued that experience since it gave me a different outlook about Saigon. Not only is Saigon a hustling and bustling city, but it is the place where its history has been preserved. I guarantee that you will not regret once coming there.

You can also take a look their facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cruisevietnam?fref=ts

Hope you enjoy your vacation.

Edited by Jeanny Le

If you have been to Saigon before why not look at a local tour to Vung Tau - travel time lot less and more time to eat delicious sea food and drink good cheap beer

Google longtannuidattour.com

It is run by a group of Aussie Vets who live in Vung Tau and one of them will accompany you. You can make your own itinerary and include what you want to see. There are Aussie military sites, VC tunnels but you do not have to visit them if you do not want to. Opportunities to visit rubber plantations, cashew factory, pergodas, beachs, shopping, just ask

You will have a full day of touring and and the cost will be very good as well as all the profits of the tour go to charitable causes sponsored by the Vets in Nui Dat and nearby locations.

Get a few people together from your own group or roll call and it will be a cheap and great day out.

I have personally organised a tour with them from Phu My in 2014 and am a VN Veteran myself and everyone in the group (8) agreed it was one of the best tours of the cruise.