Quick diaper Q?

BetMax

That is a good question...

I never thought of doing that on my last cruise. We simply had a rolling carry on with my son's things such as his diapers, wipes, toys, etc. As well as some of our things in it.

I know it is very few and far between, but I have come across horror stories from other passengers that had had their checked luggage dropped into the water. So why run (even the slightest) risk of having the diapers ruined? At least that was my thought on it.

[quote name='BetMax']Can an unopened box of diapers be checked with the luggage? Hoping we don't have to carry it thru check in. Thanks![/quote]

Yes BUT they are left in the hall. What happens if someone takes them or they dont make it to your cabin for one reason or another.

Diapers are expensive to begin with-- now add the extra cost to buy them from the ships store.

I would get a rolling suitcase and keep them with me

Back when I was a newbie traveler-with-kids, I packed all of the diapers together in one suitcase because it was nice and easy to put the diapers together and pack baby clothes then move to the next room with the bag for the other child and finally pack us. We were doing a Disney resort/cruise package. Guess what?
One of our bags didn't arrive. Fortunately (or not) it was the one with my stuff. It did show up two days later!! But in hindsight I realized it would have been a disaster if it was the one with the diapers/food/bottles in it!! Now that I am a much-more-experienced traveler with kids, I split diapers up and put some in EVERY SINGLE BAG. I also put at least one outfit for every person in every bag. That way, if one bag doesn't arrive for some reason, we still have essentials for everyone. Yes, it is a pain in the butt. However, even the boxes of diapers normally have multiple plastic sleeves - just pull them out and split them among the rest of your luggage. I also ALWAYS carry on two days worth of diapers/wipes/food etc just in case so we can make it until the first port stop!!

Unless you've got twins I don't think you'll go through an entire box of diapers in a week. But if it's labelled properly it may be fine.

For all our trips we've put them in suitcases and used the extra room for souvenirs on the way back. I would consider FTTF and putting them in my room myself just incase.

[quote name='BetMax']Thanks for the quick answers. seems like splitting them between everyone's suitcases is the answer.[/QUOTE]

We used to travel with my elderly FIL and he needed Depends and disposable pads for the bed. We would take a large duffel bag and load much of his stuff in that. Since the diapers and pads were so light and bulky the duffel was still easy to lift. We always checked it at the pier and we never had to fly when he was with us.

When it was empty on the way home, we just fold it up and pack the duffel in our suitcase. Or fill it with souvenirs. We also would wrap and securely tie a case or 2 of Ensure for his dietary needs for tube feeding. We checked that at the pier too. Never had any problems.

• 2 weeks later...