New Orleans hotels and transportation

I could use some advise. We will be flying in at 2pm on February 18th for a cruise on the Carnival Dream( the following day) and I have a couple of questions;

1) I am looking for a reasonable priced hotel, tried checking on hotwire but not sure how it works. Would it be better to stay by the airport then take a cab to the port the next day, or stay closer to the port. Hotel suggestion would be appreciated.

2) If we stayed by the airport, is there any mass transit that would take us downtown for a short visit?

3) Our return flight does not leave until 5:30pm. Our plan is to have the luggage sent to the airport and walk around the French Quarter. What would be our best option for transportation from the French Quarter to the airport?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don

... 3) Our return flight does not leave until 5:30pm. Our plan is to have the luggage sent to the airport and walk around the French Quarter. What would be our best option for transportation from the French Quarter to the airport?...

We have found a taxi fastest and most convenient. A taxi to the airport from downtown is a flat rate of $33 for two people, and $14 per person for 3 or more people.

• 3 weeks later...
I could use some advise. We will be flying in at 2pm on February 18th for a cruise on the Carnival Dream( the following day) and I have a couple of questions;

1) I am looking for a reasonable priced hotel, tried checking on hotwire but not sure how it works. Would it be better to stay by the airport then take a cab to the port the next day, or stay closer to the port. Hotel suggestion would be appreciated.

2) If we stayed by the airport, is there any mass transit that would take us downtown for a short visit?

3) Our return flight does not leave until 5:30pm. Our plan is to have the luggage sent to the airport and walk around the French Quarter. What would be our best option for transportation from the French Quarter to the airport?

Don

Airport shuttle new Orleans dot com has a shuttle from MSY airport to any downtown hotel. You can buy your ticket online, pick up your luggage at baggage claim, then step outside at baggage claim #10 to catch the shuttle. A taxi is pretty expensive in NOLA since the airport is farther from cruise port. I believe the shuttle can also be arranged for French Quarter locations too to get you back to the airport. I've used them several times and found them to be reliable.

Hi Diver,

It would be a great waste to spend a night near the airport, in Kenner, instead of New Orleans. Remember your in New Orleans, the best city to visit in North America!

For a reasonable priced hotel consider The Hotel Modern only 1.2 miles from cruise ship term. You can get more information at: http://mikestravelguide.com/where-to-stay-in-new-orleans-in-the-cbdwarehouse-district/

Use these directions to find the cheapest way to get from MSY to the CBD (or vice versa:

http://mikestravelguide.com/getting-from-louis-armstrong-international-airport-to-new-orleans-french-quarter/

Remember to enjoy yourself and try to have a good meal at one of the city's great restaurants like Antoine’s, Arnaud’s, or Tujague’s.

Don

I'll second MikesTravelGuide. Don't waste your afternoon and evening in New Orleans out by the airport, which has NOTHING to offer. Even if you have to spend a little more to stay downtown, please do it. There are hundreds of hotels all over downtown New Orleans, and none of them is very far from the major attractions of the Quarter, the Riverfront, and so on.

For transportation, just use Taxis. Airport trips are flat rate, and trips around the rest of town (when you don't want to walk..and New Orleans is a VERY walkable city) are inexpensive.

Don,

There will be Mardi Gras parades the day you arrive, so it can be difficult to find anything affordable. I took a quick look at Trivago, and there are good prices at the Best Western St. Christopher. It's not in the French Quarter, but you won't find much left there right now anyway (especially for a single night).

The F.Q. and pier wouldn't be a very long taxi ride from this hotel. The F.Q. will be INSANE, so be prepared for that.

Edited by vince_g

You can book a night at the Balcony Guest House in the Marigny (http://mikestravelguide.com/where-to-sleep-in-new-orleans-in-the-faubourg-marigny-neighborhood/). It is early enough so you should be able to get a reasonable priced room. It is further to get to the cruise ship port, and the standard flat taxi rate does not apply.