Bacalar Lagoon?

Giffer

Bacalar Lagoon is about 50-60 miles from Costa Maya, depending on where you stop. That'll take you about an hour to hour and a half to get to along the roads. There's a very nice resort, Bacalar Lagoon Resort, near the northern, closest end of the lagoon. I think Native Choice tours sometimes stop there for lunch after the ruins. But I'd not want to guess what the cost of a taxi would be to go round trip. You might consider renting a car or jeep. It's a fairly straight shot from the cruise port once you hit the main road. But then again driving in Mexico can have its own perils. I don't know if there are car rental places in Mahahual or Costa Maya. Most people driving to there rent up in Cancun or Playa.

We are doing a tour with Native Choice in April from the Dream that includes Chacchoben Ruins and Bacalar Lagoon. Price is $80 person and includes food and drinks (including alcoholic) at the lagoon. They have pictures and more info on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing a tour with Native Choice in April from the Dream that includes Chacchoben Ruins and Bacalar Lagoon. Price is $80 person and includes food and drinks (including alcoholic) at the lagoon. They have pictures and more info on their website.

Do you know how long the excursion is? I'm assuming it's safe!? LOL!! I just get concerned with Mexico sometimes but most of the posts here seem like this is a pretty safe place to be .... I'm just concerned about going that far from port ... am I being silly? Thanx!

It's 5 1/2 hours usually... We are going from the Dream only in port 7-2 so I think they shorten up a little of the ruins time. I haven't heard about it being unsafe at all. The ruins are a big tourist spot and they go to the Bacalar Lagoon Resort after. If you look it up it seems like a nice place. We haven't been before but we go beginning of April so I can report back :)

Thanx for the response! Trying to weigh out the ruins or a beach thing ... but as you say, I'm not finding anyone saying anything about it being an unsafe place, so that's good! Enjoy your time when you go! We're actually leaving Sunday ... well, driving to Florida from GA to Saturday, sailing Sunday. This trip is so last minute .... booked the cruise on a fluke because the sale was so good just last Wednesday! So just now trying to figure out what to do! Thanx again! Happy Sailing! :)