Solstice Nov 2nd 2015- excursion HELP! 🙏🏻

robin111

Too many choices! Don't know which tours to pick! Def doing overnight queenstown. How many wildlife parks are too many? Want to focus on animals and gorgeous scenery. Would love any advice! Thx a million in advance! We are a couple in our late 50's and early 60's. Traveling with several other couples. Thx again!

Too many choices! Don't know which tours to pick! Def doing overnight queenstown. How many wildlife parks are too many? Want to focus on animals and gorgeous scenery. Would love any advice! Thx a million in advance! We are a couple in our late 50's and early 60's. Traveling with several other couples. Thx again!

Glad to get your questions and these details for your interests, size of your group, etc., on my live/blog as connected below. It looks as if your Nov. 2, 2015, Solstice cruise will make all of the same stops that we did (except Napier). Many good options in these varied ports/locations. Very happy to hear that you are planning to be doing the Queenstown overnight excursion.

Wildlife and beautiful scenery are very possible. BUT, wildlife can be somewhat more challenging to find and see. They live in the "WILD" and are not always as visible during certain parts of the daytime periods. Part of the "job" with wildlife is their staying hidden and out of view. Plus, weather can complicate some of these goals/desires.

Have you studied and ranked the ship excursion offerings? Clearly with the size of your group, it is easier to put together and schedule certain private tours that offer more flexibility and better pricing. That is part of what we did in many locations.

My suggestion would be for you post on my live/blog on the one, two or three top options you and the people in your group are most seriously considering. Then, I can react and offer added insights for you to consider and maybe do.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 112,204 views for this posting with a wide range of visuals on the Solstice, its options, food, etc. PLUS, lots on the many different ports. Below are a couple of quick options/samples to help build excitement for this trip.

Here is a picture from our New Zealand South Island JetBoat ride that my wife loved so much. Me, too!! Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river. We had lots of great moments on this trip, but one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class near the NZ Southern Alps. And, perfect weather with good friends adds to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg

Here is one of my visuals in connection with this steamship sailing leading to the dinner at the sheep station at the other end of this scenic lake near Queenstown during the two-day Solstice excursion. You will see lots of scenic mountains and areas during this sailing that is a key part of this evening fun. And, there was food!!:

QueentownExcurA24_zps2a4c81d5.jpg

This is Old St. Paul's church in Wellington. It is the former cathedral in the Diocese of Wellington for the Anglican Church. As an example of 19th-century Gothic Revival architecture, they adapted to colonial conditions and materials. It is at 34 Mulgrave Street, close to the New Zealand Parliament. Its construction was completed in June 1866. After a significant battle to prevent its demolition, Old St. Paul's was purchased by the New Zealand Government in 1967 and restored. Although not a parish church, it remains consecrated and is a popular for weddings, funerals and other services. It is constructed from native NZ timbers. The interior has been likened to the upturned hull of an Elizabethan galleon with its exposed curving trusses and roof sacking. The flags displayed in the nave include the Royal Navy, NZ Merchant Navy and US Marine Corps. Many of our Marines were stationed in Wellington during World War II. My wife is in yellow walking down the center aisle as she absorb the building details. This was a very important and "moving" site to experience. :

WellingtonA9_zpse247f172.jpg

Wish we were traveling with u and ur wife! It's such a pleasure to have someone like you plan everything! I just read through 81 pigs of excursions... Too much to absorb! Also half asleep! As I said... Too many choices. Akaroa seems to be very confusing! Wish I could purchase a video as they show on the cruise of all the shore excursion options!

I like the transalpine express railway but not the price!think u did that with the jet boat. Afraid that ride would put me over the edge not to mention totally destroy my husbands bad back! Penguin tour sounds somewhat interesting , Christchurch is a possibility or a wildlife park and a gondola ride. Any suggestions? If this is the one time we go to new zealamd and knowing we just finished the overnight tour of queenstown.... What makes the most sense?! Thx so much.

Others r counting on me to come up with options--- I can help with china, Vietnam and Thailand... This trip.... Clueless!!!! Lucky there r people like yourself! Many thanks again!

We are on the Solstice from Auckland to Sydney in January. Do find your roll call to get ideas of what others are doing and possibly join some private tours. FWIW, here are our 'excursion' choices;

Bay of Islands: Either the Vigilant sailboat,

http://www.sailing-bay-of-islands.co.nz/about-vigilant/, or Hole in the Rock cruise with Explore Group,

http://www.exploregroup.co.nz/en/amazing-places/bay-of-islands/

Tauranga: Karangahake Gorge with Wicked Wanders (We will have been in Rotorua pre-cruise to have visited the thermal areas and experienced a Maori village and performance, otherwise that would be our choice in port.)

http://www.wickedwanders.co.nz/karangahake-gorge-walking-tour

Wellington: Walking tour with Genie-http://genieswalkingtours.com/wellington-tours

Akaroa: Would have chosen the "mail run" but unfortunately we are there on a Sunday and it doesn't run then. Many options here, we will likely just explore Akaroa or book a private tour so as to see the beauty of the Banks Peninsula. Not interested in going to Christchurch. Check out this website which lists numerous possibilities-

http://www.akaroa.com/cruise-ships/akaroa-tours-transport

Dunedin: Queenstown Overnight Celebrity Excursion

Hobart: Private tour with EyeSeeTasmania to Bonorang Wildlife Sanctuary, Richmond Village and Mt. Field nat'l park-http://www.eyeseetasmania.com.au/

Melbourne: Koalas & Kangaroos Celebrity Excursion since this is likely our only chance to experience these animals.