Need help and advice with home hemodialysis

wild0826

I am unfamiliar with dialysis and procedures so I am hoping someone has experience and can help or has a suggestion . We are scheduled for a family reuinion on board Royal Caribbean Majesty of the seas for a 4 day cruise leaving June 27th. That's in about 2 weeks.

I have a cousin that needs dialysis. She has been doing home hemo since January. After booking the cruise she wanted to know if she could be accommodated . She spoke with someone in special needs and told them all info and was told she could be accommodated . She called last week to find out some info and another person asked how long she has been doing it. The lady then told her that she has to have been doing it at least a year or she could not board.

She is upset because no one told her this and she called and specifically indicated the type she does and no one said this requirement until now almost 2 weeks before we sail. She has spoken with special needs as well as the resolution department and they said no exceptions . Does anyone know of possible solution they may accept. She has never cruises before and not a member of CC so I am asking on her behalf. I feel so bad for her but feel my hands are tied. I don't have a clue on differences in dialysis and why they want 1 yr of doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Being that RCCL states on it's website that its unable to administer or assist with hemo-dialysis treatments, the 1 year policy is more likely a condition of its liability insurance provider in which RCCL will not make an exception. Unless your cousin obtained a written confirmation from the first person she spoke to that said it was OK for her to cruise than there's really nothing else that can be done be done at this point particularly since this matter had already been escalated to the Resolutions Dept. which confirmed the 1 year policy.

Of course she can choose to take her chances and show up to check-in on embarkation day but there is the possibility that her booking has been flagged in which case she'll may not be permitted on-board.

Edited by xxoocruiser

There is a group called Dialysis at Sea that ahs RN's and a Nephrologist that sail with you. Check on their site as they are not on all cruises. My sincere suggestion is to CALL RCI Special Needs Department and ask them.

There is a group called Dialysis at Sea that ahs RN's and a Nephrologist that sail with you. Check on their site as they are not on all cruises. My sincere suggestion is to CALL RCI Special Needs Department and ask them.

Calling RCCL again is always an option. However OP stated that her cousin had already spoken to the Special Needs Dept as well as the Resolutions Dept . and both have said no because the policy is that the individual has had to be doing hemo-dialysis for at least a year.

Calling RCCL again is always an option. However OP stated that her cousin had already spoken to the Special Needs Dept as well as the Resolutions Dept . and both have said no because the policy is that the individual has had to be doing hemo-dialysis for at least a year.

Hey all

Thanks for advice given . My cousin for a response back from corporate but it was still a no go. She did get a full refund from Royal. She was able to make lemonade out of lemons however. She contacted a travel agent and told her the dilemma . A travel agent was able to get her a cruise on Norweigan leaving he same time . She just has to change her flights from Orlando to Miami . She will be in Nassau the same time our ship is in Nassau so we will meet up there. She has papers from her doctor and that is enough for Norweigan . So she may not cruise with is but she will get to cruise . Thanks again