Galveston - Late checkout hotels

Lady Vidora

Hey all,

We're driving to Galveston and will be checking in pretty late the night before departure. Since we don't want to get to the terminal until about 2-3pm, do you guys know of any hotels that have late checkout times? We're trying to avoid starting the cruise tired :-)

LV

Hotels have a set check-out time in order to allow the cleaning staff adequate time to prepare rooms for the next guests. Staff have usually completd their cleaning by 2pm for new guests to check in.

I suggest you ask the hotel, but don't be surprised if the request an additional charge. This would cover the cost of cleaning staying later to prepare the room.

We have asked for a late check-out a few times due to our flight being later. Sometimes they will accommodate you, but sometimes not. If they don't they will always hold your luggage for you and you can sit by the pool or in the lobby and read a book or watch TV. Sometimes even do a little sightseeing walk through nearby areas if you're close to any areas. I don't think I'd wait to get to the terminal at 3 p.m. though...that's getting a little late.

Ask when you reserve *and* again at check in if a late checkout is possible. Keep in mind that if the room is already booked the next day, they probably won't allow it as they need to clean up for the next person.

However, they will most likely ask you "How late?" Of course waiting until 3pm will make you late for the boat. But if you ask for noon, instead of 3 - you have better chances of getting the request.

Most hotels can tolerate an hour or two -- they won't mind cleaning other rooms first and then coming back to yours. The house cleaning crew can only attend to so many rooms at once anyway. However, the more time you request late - the greater the chance the hotel will be unable to work with you (not unwilling - just unable).

And CGBCruiser is correct - I have yet to see a hotel that won't hold your bags for you for the day. Then you can come back later and retrieve them before heading to the ship (although I realize this does not help with the "being tired" portion of your request - unless you take a nap poolside first :) )

Archived