LAX and Counterfeit Goods

ducklite

Be advised that Customs at LAX is on the hunt in a big way for counterfeit goods being brought back I to the US. That $40 LV bag? It will be taken. There were piles and piles including entire suitcases of clothing stacked high, and we were told by the very nice customs agent that they are really cracking down, not only on the people trying to bring the fakes in to sell, but also individuals coming back with an item or two for personal use. They now have a zero tolerance policy, and are starting to tag passports of anyone caught bringing in counterfeits. Consider yourself warned.

Customs in the LA area has always placed emphasis on protecting trademarks, copyrights, and trade dress. They also catch a surprising number of animal smugglers and people returning from trips where they had "encounters" with minors. A lot of the counterfeit goods are found at the ports, and I think the local entertainment industry applies pressure to enforce IP.

The crackdown isn't surprising, though I didn't know about the one item per month exemption. I certainly wouldn't want the delay and "extra love" from Customs after they found the one item!

Edited by kenish