What to do without excursion.

joebmoore

For Tortola there isn't alot to do without planning some type of day. You can just taxi to a beach or take an island tour, or you can ferry to Virgin Gorda and visit the Baths which I would recommend

You really should look into some type of adventure so you don't later regret not seeing something. There are tons of ideas in this forum.

For Antigua take the See Antigua by Sea excursion on the Excellence catamaran and see the beauty of the coast and harbors, really is an excellent day. Or take a personalized island tour with Lawrence of Antigua and see the beauty of Antigua from the island. You can google and contact him for reasonable pricing and to customize your tour.

Follow up -

I realize these are excursion ideas but there also isn't alot to do in Antigua without choosing some type of tour, otherwise you're stuck hitting a few stores or grabbing a taxi to a beach. Antigua and Tortola are both gorgeous islands and are worth seeing IMHO.

My wife and I are going on Carnival Freedom in August. One of the stops is Tortola. What are some fun things we can do without an excursion? Also applies to Antigua.

My friends and I are taking Carnival Freedom,8 day on June 15 our stops include Antigua and Tortola. We found a all inclusive resort(small) that sells day passes, on Antigua. It is close enough to walk to Ft James. Check Coconut beach club reviews. In Tortola we are mystified. Probably just walk around and then go back to ship after trying the famous BVI drink the "painkiller". I'll try and remember to post when we get back.

I understand the need to budget, I would just be disappointed wasting a port day like that for someone who hasn't experienced Tortola or the Baths on Virgin Gorda. Unfortunately there isn't much to experience near the cruise dock other than a few small shops including Sunny Caribbe, a nice spice shop. But you'll probably be back on the ship quickly and that is a real shame...

Most folks will "save" an excursion for Tortola because it is someplace they know nothing about (as compared to a St Thomas or Nassau, for example). We also stay on St Thomas and that would make much more sense for a non-excursion day because there is so much more near the ship. Just an observation, of course, I'm just sorry you won't be able to experience Tortola and I'll stop with the recommendations! :p

Antigua is definitely worth an excursion, we've enjoyed both land and water-based excursions there and I hope you enjoy your day there at least!

Do enjoy your cruise! :)

My wife and I are going on Carnival Freedom in August. One of the stops is Tortola. What are some fun things we can do without an excursion? Also applies to Antigua.

My son and I are going in August too... August 10 cruise.... I have never been to Tortola or Antigua so I have been spending hours on Trip Advisor trying to decide what to do!! I have been to both the Baths at Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke on day trips from Saint Thomas and both are wonderful if you are looking to take a day trip. I think I have settled on a taxi tour and going to the beach at Cane Garden Bay, it is supposed to be beautiful have several beach bars, a glass shop, and an old timey rum distillery! Still haven't decided about Antigua....

VAkrf I'm glad you're looking at ideas for Tortola and Antigua, both are beautiful islands and certainly not ports one would want to just waste a day staying by the ship or staying at an AI resort. That would be such a shame...

Since you've already experienced the Baths your idea of an island tour on Tortola is an excellent one, and taxis provide great tours at an hourly rate. And CGB is a nice beach and large bay with 6 beach bars/restaurants. It becomes absolutely the busiest spot on the island when ships are in because it is easily accessible by safari taxis. But you can enjoy a few hours there. Kareem has the newer small glass shop behind his restaurant (Myett's) and you can see the old distillery. We stay at Myett's and love going to Stanley's Welcome Bar (now Tony's) next door for their cheeseburger in paradise and fish tacos.

If you decide CGB is a little crazy and a 1 beach bar beach would be more comfortable ask the driver about Brewer's Bay.

And Antigua is another great island for either a land-based or water-based tour, we really enjoyed a personal land tour with Lawrence of Antigua our first visit, and a day on the very blue water on the Excellence with the See Antigua by Sea excursion on another. I'm sure you've seen these recommended on TA.

Have a great cruise!

Unfortunately my friends and I travel on a strict budget when we travel without our family's. we can't do excursions in 4 ports. We've scheduled two and Tortola is not one of them. I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves.

We're on the same sailing (I've "seen" you on the roll call too) and due mostly to the short day we have in port, we too are planning a pretty low key day for Tortola. We're planning on going to Brewer's Bay beach for the day. We're a family of four; I don't know how many people can fit in one taxi, but you're welcome to share if it works out!

We're on the same sailing (I've "seen" you on the roll call too) and due mostly to the short day we have in port, we too are planning a pretty low key day for Tortola. We're planning on going to Brewer's Bay beach for the day. We're a family of four; I don't know how many people can fit in one taxi, but you're welcome to share if it works out!

Thanks so much!! I think one of the ladies is interested in visiting the brewery. But your plan sounds good too! The safari taxis hold quite a few. 8 would probably fill it up:). I'll pass it around and see what others (girls) say!!

Thanks again for such a nice offer.

The taxis hold about 25 ppl and many will be going to CGB and Brewer's, no problem finding one at the dock!

Thanks! A party then!

Just found we will be only ship in port. Will that make a significant change in how crowded the beaches are? In both Antigua and Tortola. Thanks for your replies.

Yes, for Tortola the only places that will be really crowded are around the dock, at Cane Garden Bay, and at the Baths on Virgin Gorda. I'm sure Antigua will be nice with one ship as well, it should be a little less crowded around the port area.

Have a good time!

I have to say that Tortola has been our least favorite island out of all we've been to.

Antigua has so many beautiful beaches, take your pick. Our taxi driver last time was Joseph, coat of many colors. He offered to take us on a tour next time. He was awesome. We went to Valley church beach and he gave us a wonderful tour there.

Sorry you didn't enjoy Tortola msakmom, we love Tortola and stay there as often as we can, just a gorgeous island with beautiful beaches close to other beautiful islands, all with very nice beaches with great snorkeling. And the evening happy hours and music is excellent on Tortola but of course you can't experience that on a cruise. But best of all the people are wonderful.

We also stay in other areas like St Martin, St Thomas, Jamaica, Antigua, the Riviera Maya and Mexican Riviera and these are all great destinations. But I realize that Tortola is not for everyone, and that's what makes it nice for us.

Yes Antigua has some gorgeous beaches, we like to get away from the crowds there but if you want to economize you can taxi to a close beach.

We greatly enjoyed our day in Tortola- no excursion planned. We just hopped in a taxi to Cane Garden Bay and had a fabulous day.

It was a crowded beach, but great for people watching and lots to eat, drink, and fun waves to play in (not for snorkeling). We went for serene beach in St. Thomas, so this was a different kind of day.

Taxi was $8pp and chairs were $5pp. It's not the kind of beach where you can get by without having a chair.

Here is my review of the day: http://skittl1321.blogspot.com/2011/01/cruise-round-up-january-6-tortola.html

QUOTE skittle

We greatly enjoyed our day in Tortola- no excursion planned. We just hopped in a taxi to Cane Garden Bay and had a fabulous day.

Taxi was $8pp and chairs were $5pp. It's not the kind of beach where you can get by without having a chair.

Here is my review of the day: http://skittl1321.blogspot.com/2011/01/cruise-round-up-january-6-tortola.html

-------------------------------------------------------

Tortola is a wonderful island! :)

Per above, you can have a great day there without spending a ton of money.

LuLu

~~~~

My Wife and I had a free day on Tortola just to stroll and had a very nice time for very little money. This is if you like to walk around and see the local people and Island. Some of the walk is not beautiful, but it is always interesting. You can walk all the way around the harbour (clock-wise from the ship. Stay close to the water as you walk) to the marina on the opposite side from the cruise dock for a drink and some ice cream or desert. This marina is where alot of the sailboat charters go out of, so it is a great place for people watching. Walk back the way you came but instead of hugging the harbour head back through town to see what's there. Keep going through town and walk out to Pussers for lunch. Then walk back to the ship along the water.

It was a crowded beach, but great for people watching and lots to eat, drink, and fun waves to play in (not for snorkeling). We went for serene beach in St. Thomas, so this was a different kind of day.

Thanks for your report, and yes CGB is a great bay for people watching and a livelier vibe and if that's what you're looking for it's actually perfect! We've stayed at Myett's and we would head over to beautiful Smuggler's Cove during the busier ship days and enjoy the happy hours and excellent musicians evenings in CGB.

Glad you had a fun day and you shoce the best spot on Tortola for your day.

What beach did you go to in STT?

My Wife and I had a free day on Tortola just to stroll and had a very nice time for very little money. This is if you like to walk around and see the local people and Island. Some of the walk is not beautiful, but it is always interesting. You can walk all the way around the harbour (clock-wise from the ship. Stay close to the water as you walk) to the marina on the opposite side from the cruise dock for a drink and some ice cream or desert. This marina is where alot of the sailboat charters go out of, so it is a great place for people watching. Walk back the way you came but instead of hugging the harbour head back through town to see what's there. Keep going through town and walk out to Pussers for lunch. Then walk back to the ship along the water.

Yes you can have a nice stroll along the harbor and have a lunch on the water at Maria's and watch the boats come and go. Pusser's Pub is actually quite close to the cruise dock where the shops are, nice English-style pub for something different.

We would recommend seeing more of Tortola simply because it is such a gorgeous island. But I'm glad you were able to enjoy a nice leisurely day like you wanted, most people never get a chance to see that part of Road Town unless they stay on the island.

Thanks!

We stayed at two places.

Prospect Reef. It is a bit run down, but we had a large room all the way at the end on the second floor that was right on the water. The room was fine. It was clean, and all facilities worked as expected. We enjoyed our stay, but would not recommend this place to anyone else.

Maria's by the sea. Nice place with clean rooms and great people. The eatery, right on the water, was wonderful for breakfast and dinner.

As for our time in Tortola, we had a wonderful time and found the only thing surpassing the islands beauty was its people.