Canadian insurance-over 61 yrs old pre-existing

canadianbear

Have booked a Panama repositioning cruise for April 2015. When I phoned to renew our annual medical extended coverage I was told that since I will be turning 61 in the new year I have to have my pre-existing health issue "stable" (no change, no medication change, no new meds,etc) for 6 months prior to the cruise. (I don't have a crystal ball so this makes things very difficult).

I contacted Steve at trip insurance store and they have a policy for Canadians with pre-existing coverage, trip cancellation, trip interruption, but the medical coverage is only $100,000 which I think is low, isn't it?

He stated that the TravelSafe Classic plan is based on the total cost of the trip (ie cruise fare,air fare, hotel) and if something medical did happen that we would be transported back home to Canada under the emergency medical evacuation/repatriation which covers up to $1,000,000. (this policy is $890 to cover my husband and myself and has to be purchased within 21 days of putting the deposit on the cruise).

My concern is that if it is something very serious and ended up in hospital that would cost over $100,000 and couldn't get transported back to Canada prior to that we would go broke.

Any other Canadians have some suggestions. Do you think the $100,000 medical coverage would be ok?

Thank you.