What to do in Puerto Limon 1-5pm AFTER a Tour

SteveinPhilly

I'm trying to make the most of our cruise stop in Puerto Limon on January 18th. mI have a 4 1/2 hour tour to the pineapple plantation (which is closed on sundays), with a bus, train and boat ride). It ends at about noon and I'll probably go back to ship for light lunch. But I'll certainly have 4 hours to do something after that. Since I'll have already done the Rain Forrest and boat, is there anything others can recommend that I do to fill the time? Are there tourist sites to see within walking distance? I also would like to try local fast foods and find a supermarket to buy some coffee that I might not find as export. Thanks for any quick replies. I JUST realized I had that time available.

Steve

Hi. Good question. I also would love to know where to buy some great coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Both Colombia and Costa Rica are great coffee places and some of what you can buy are better than export variety. (In Colombia - on my last visit 25 years ago :eek: I was able to drink the coffee black and I've never neen able to do that in US.

The best place is to buy is usually the supermarket (where the locals go). They ARE open on Sundays. but someone on TA mentioned that they bought 4 lb bags from a vendor at the port market for $10 (for 4 pounds!) ground and it was great when they got home. Decent Costa Rican coffee in the US can be had for $12.00/lb so anything under $7.00 is probably a good deal (remember yiur luggage weight though if yiu are flying)

With that said, here is a GREAT thread by CR expert Trujilo: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k912097-Best_Coffee_to_Bring_Home-Costa_Rica.html

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I would call the downtown area super touristy, but my husband and I had a few hours after our day long tour and we spent it downtown. We ate at a food cart, joined a music festival and went to a grocery store where we bought chocolate, coffee and beer.

• 3 weeks later...

With that said, here is a GREAT thread by CR expert Trujilo: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k912097-Best_Coffee_to_Bring_Home-Costa_Rica.html

Steve

While it was a nice article I found it a little confusing.

So if I'm walking around in the area near the cruise port, where is the best place to buy coffee?

While it was a nice article I found it a little confusing.

So if I'm walking around in the area near the cruise port, where is the best place to buy coffee?

Actually at one of the booths in the "market" at the cruise terminal. There are about 80 merchants selling crafts and coffee and about eight of them sell coffee. Walk around and compare prices - they are different. The TOP brand is Britt - but it's a bit pricier. The next best is called 1810 I think. These run about $6.00 for one or 4 for 20. for the 500 gram size or half that for 250 grams. Yiu can walk to one of the supermarkets about 3 blocks away but the price was s8imilar. I only noted this in Costa Rica. In Cartagena, Colombia the price at port was three times the supermarket price.

I hope that helps. Ask more if I wasn't clear.