Icy Straight and Point Adolphus

poss

Here is something curious, at least I found it so. Among the long list of excursions for Alaska ports, a number of the choices including whale watching, other kinds of small boat excursions (e.g. to SilverKing Lodge in Juneau), the only one where sea-sickness is mentioned is the "Whale and Marine Mammals Cruise" from Icy Straight. "Those who are prone to seasickness should take appropriate pre-emptive measures before commencing the tour."

Is that area especially known for rough waters? Or is it the nature of the boats used that makes it somehow more "rock and roll"? In fact, are those boats enclosed or not? (Maybe it depends on the exact tour operator?)

Thanks.

The small open boats do bounce around more than bigger boats. But, you are on water- so , every single boat has potential for "rougher/smoother" sailing. Unique for that particular time.

It is pretty simple to find out what kind of boats are used by vendors you are considering. I've actually seen a couple "sick" people in Auke Bay, so the potential is always there.

Out of Hoonah- although, many boat tours do head to Point Adolphus, that is NOT the only place boat tours can go.

I always enjoys sailing past there on cruises ships- guess what, I'm frequently the only one out when I look up and down the rail. :) A few times, the cruise ships actually made a short detour stop, and still not a lot of people out.

Seasickness.

It is unlikely that anyone will get seasick doing a whale watch tour on the inside waters which is where ISP-Pt Adolphus is. However, there is always that one person.

I wouldn't worry about it. As a boat owner for most my life I've never seen those patches work miracles anyway.

Save your money.