October or November for Greece Cruise

SF

We've been to Greece before but it was during August. We have another opportunity to cruise to some of the Greek ports again either in October or November. We were thinking of going November as it's better for our schedule plus it's a little less expensive. We would like to hear some pros and cons versus each month. The one port we were concerned with is Athens as our ship arrives at 12 p.m. and leaves at 8:30 p.m. and sunset is around 5 p.m. in November. Any information would be greatly appreciated as we need to make a decision soon.

Edited by SF

We've been to Greece before but it was during August. We have another opportunity to cruise to some of the Greek ports again either in October or November. We were thinking of going November as it's better for our schedule plus it's a little less expensive. We would like to hear some pros and cons versus each month. The one port we were concerned with is Athens as our ship arrives at 12 p.m. and leaves at 8:30 p.m. and sunset is around 5 p.m. in November. Any information would be greatly appreciated as we need to make a decision soon.

I would choose November as weather will be better. Also, many places in the Greek Islands close down in the winter months.

I don't think that in Athens it really matters if it is dark early. A city visit is very different to a beach area.

I haven't found much difference in weather (in terms of rain) between October and November, but November will be marginally cooler and somewhat less crowded. (For me, that would tip me toward November.)

If you're visiting the popular Greek isles, you won't find things closed up. I've been to Mykonos in the last week of November and everything was open for business.

The reason we were considering October is we'll be visiting Venice as well and Dubrovnik. I read November isn't the best time of year for Venice weather wise with more chance of floods and in Dubrovnik it's rather cold. Plus the wall closes at 3 p.m. and our ship wouldn't even get there till 12 p.m.

The reason we were considering October is we'll be visiting Venice as well and Dubrovnik. I read November isn't the best time of year for Venice weather wise with more chance of floods and in Dubrovnik it's rather cold. Plus the wall closes at 3 p.m. and our ship wouldn't even get there till 12 p.m.

That does make it a bit different than just Greek islands....

Although, looking at weather info on Venice suggests that while November is the most likely month for flooding, October isn't that far behind....

You can compare historical weather info for each of your ports on weather.com if you want. But in the end you never know -- it could end up being a sunny and beautiful November (or October) or a soggy one.

You do raise a good point re: shorter opening hours at some sites. If that's going to impact your trip, I'd definitely take that into consideration.