2 weeks away from being on our ship...who is going to be at LAX...?

2010_cruisers

re: March 14, 2010 - possible share ride/cost from air port to LA Harbor.

Hi. Anyone traveling from LAX on Sunday, in 2 weeks from LAX - if so, would ypou like to share an exclusive ride (van or limo or whatever) with my son and I? Please so, get ahold of us, thanks.

PS Would any locals...(yes the smart, caring and kind Californinas who are maybe not tarvelling that day)...help and give us a ride to the piers maybe? Lunch is on us...

re: March 14, 2010 - possible share ride/cost from air port to LA Harbor.

Hi. Anyone traveling from LAX on Sunday, in 2 weeks from LAX - if so, would ypou like to share an exclusive ride (van or limo or whatever) with my son and I? Please so, get ahold of us, thanks.

PS Would any locals...(yes the smart, caring and kind Californinas who are maybe not tarvelling that day)...help and give us a ride to the piers maybe? Lunch is on us...

$17.00 each on super shuttle sharing with whoever else is going to the port..much easier to catch shuttle once you arrive than trying to meet up with people you dont know..also eat lunch on the ship..save your money for something else..

jascal - I am from TO, originally. Anyways I added u to my friends list..if u want do the same..anyways...thanks for the tip...btw - i know about the shuttles, just am unsure if we shuld bopok ahead or just wint at the LAX baggae area....it seems I hear divided stories..some say DO NOT wait for the RCL BUS, it waits n waits n waitas...n the same for the shuttlew who crircle the apirort 2 times...and then headd off all over the place....when all we want to do is go direct or fast SOON as possible.

Sigh.

The RCL bus (cruise line bus) you would have to pay for in advance, I have no idea the fare, probably around $40 PP round trip.

The shared shuttle vans do fill up and can take a while to get to port, but not always. No one can predict what will happen, you may be first, last or in the middle to be dropped off. Primetime shuttle (there are others) will cost around $16 pp each way, not including a tip for a shared van, $75 for a private van.

It's a bit confusing to try to arrange a pickup with others, unless they are coming in on your flight, or one at least in the same terminal, LAX is pretty huge to try to find others.

You might look for a roll call on CC for your cruise, if you can't find anyone to share the ride to port, perhaps you will find others to share the return ride after the cruise.

The RCL bus (cruise line bus) you would have to pay for in advance, I have no idea the fare, probably around $40 PP round trip.

The shared shuttle vans do fill up and can take a while to get to port, but not always. No one can predict what will happen, you may be first, last or in the middle to be dropped off. Primetime shuttle (there are others) will cost around $16 pp each way, not including a tip for a shared van, $75 for a private van.

It's a bit confusing to try to arrange a pickup with others, unless they are coming in on your flight, or one at least in the same terminal, LAX is pretty huge to try to find others.

You might look for a roll call on CC for your cruise, if you can't find anyone to share the ride to port, perhaps you will find others to share the return ride after the cruise.

How does execucar (division of super shuttle) figure into this. It seems cheaper to take that if you are four or more?

HI bedfordmom. I am told that either execucar or Lotus transportation will do a shared-exclusive ride up to 5 people for $55 +_ tip...however; we are ONLY 2 PEOPLE.

This is our dilemma - do we wait and meet people in line and ask them or chance it and get stuck on some long wait line and long trip to the port on a shared-van shuttle? Those companies will take up to 5 people one 1 van/SUV for $55 so that's like only $10 bucks each and goes fast-direct, you know?

We'd rather do the $55 by ourselves and find people to tag along and save $$$. This is what we are debating...anyways, what are your thoughts? them and us some cash right. Hmm?

OP- Sounds like you've never been to LAX and are understandably perplexed. LAX is huge and there is little or no chance of just happening on another cruiser waiting around. Even if you pre-arrange something on the roll call for your sailing, one party will probably have go to another terminal for a meet-up to catch the shuttle. If your actual arrival times are not close, one party will be waiting around, and if one flight is delayed the plan will fall apart.

Whether pre-arranged or a random meeting you will probably spend more time making it happen than simply catching a shared van. Keep in mind ground transport "coordinators" with radios are outside each terminal. They group passengers at various terminals by ground destination. So it's pretty likely other random passengers on your van will be heading to the port as well...and as mentioned even if someone is headed to their residence or business you will still get to the ship faster.

The quandry is trying to save $35 (including driver tip) and saving time is the classic cost vs. convenience thing. Hope this helps paint the "big picture".

I would agree with the others. Unless someone from your roll call is on the same flight as you (and doesn't miss it), it would be hard to meet up with another party, especially if you don't know then from Adam. LAX is circular with many terminals, and there'll be a shuttle stop in front of each one. So if there's still spaces on the shuttle (which is a van), it'll go to the next stop on the circle to fill up with those going in the direction of the ports (remember there's two ports, LA and Long Beach). And possible some going to one of the hotels near the ports for a pre-cruise stay. So eventually the shuttle will take off and get to San Pedro.

If I lived in that area, and had a car with a decent size trunk (the only disadvantage to having a fuel-efficient Saturn sedan:)), I would offer to pick you up, but it's about 30 to 40 miles for me to the airport as I live as far northwest in LA County as one can.

Archived