Options for beach day in St. Lucia

dj.calvo

Hello all. I will be cruising for the first time with my family on Carnival's Liberty- the 7 night southern caribbean cruise. I hae been to St. Lucia before, and have seen many of the sights/attractions. I am looking for feedback on a beach to relax and enjoy the beauty of the island with good & affordable

food options. I am traveling with 4 kids! Ages 21, 20, 15 & 13. What suggestions might you be able to offer?

Thanks in advance!

Reduit Beach in Rodney Bay is your best bet. Numerous for options, long stretch of beach with swimming areas along with all sorts of watersports for hire, etc. About 30 minutes north from port, taxi formally of you will run around $40-$50 one way.

Lots of threads here about Reduit, some with pictures, if you do a search.

• 4 weeks later...

Was at Reduit beach just last week. I had never been on my 9 trips to St Lucia. I love it and will go back. Very cheap taxi ride. Some vendors but not extremely pushy. Umbrellas and beach chairs also cheap.

Beer and soft drinks for $2.

• 2 weeks later...
Was at Reduit beach just last week. I had never been on my 9 trips to St Lucia. I love it and will go back. Very cheap taxi ride. Some vendors but not extremely pushy. Umbrellas and beach chairs also cheap.

Beer and soft drinks for $2.

How much was your taxi ride? I thought it was pricey.....?

A taxi to Rodney Bay, straight to Reduit Beach, is $30us one Way. Some unlicensed drivers so pirate the route and will charge less, but they are unlicensed and driving up prices by doing so.

You can try for the public bus.to Rodney Bay which is about a buck US one way, drops you off at the outskirts of RB and you can walk to beach in about 10-15 minutes. The bus stop for RB is behind the craft market, any local can point you in the right direction.

Enjoy your visit.

• 2 weeks later...
A taxi to Rodney Bay, straight to Reduit Beach, is $30us one Way. Some unlicensed drivers so pirate the route and will charge less, but they are unlicensed and driving up prices by doing so.

You can try for the public bus.to Rodney Bay which is about a buck US one way, drops you off at the outskirts of RB and you can walk to beach in about 10-15 minutes. The bus stop for RB is behind the craft market, any local can point you in the right direction.

Enjoy your visit.

Is the $30 one way cost for the car or per person? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
We have been to this beach a couple times, once with Cosol & once with Rodneys tour. Im curious how much a taxi is so I can decide if doing a tour will be a better deal when factoring in lunch, drinks, and transportation

It is $90-$100us one way by taxi from Castries to Sugar Beach For up to three persons. Lunch, drinks, etc would all be extr. Leave plenty of time for your return as there is only one road back, and it's busy with returning passengers, a minimum of 1.5 hours on return...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info!! We are going to St. Lucia in July 2015 and were looking for something to do other than the Pitons and Soufriere. I saw this area/beach, but after reading this thread, I feel more comfortable going there! Thanks everyone!

• 1 month later...
Reduit Beach in Rodney Bay is your best bet. Numerous for options, long stretch of beach with swimming areas along with all sorts of watersports for hire, etc. About 30 minutes north from port, taxi formally of you will run around $40-$50 one way.

Lots of threads here about Reduit, some with pictures, if you do a search.

Are you kidding? $40 to $50 one way for a 30 minute taxi ride? I think Reduit needs to reduit. That's really high.

It is $90-$100us one way by taxi from Castries to Sugar Beach For up to three persons. Lunch, drinks, etc would all be extr. Leave plenty of time for your return as there is only one road back, and it's busy with returning passengers, a minimum of 1.5 hours on return...

WOW! I think this will be a stay on the ship day. They're higher than Grand Caymen.

WOW! I think this will be a stay on the ship day. They're higher than Grand Caymen.

You will get a better deal going with a tour operator. Both Cosol and Spencer Ambrose Tours come highly rated on these boards. A land tour that includes a short stop at Jalousie/Sugar Beach runs at $75/person. For a longer stay at the beach, Spencer Ambrose offers speedboat transportation to Jalousie Beach for $85 or a land and sea combo for $100--and to top things off, all these tours include lunch, snacks and beverages!

It's also much further than beaches on Grand Cayman, and gas is more expensive in St Lucia than in GC.... Your choice. Shame to miss out on the beautiful island, but up to you. Tours can be good options given the inclusions, and due to quantity they can offer lower prices than hiring a private driver.

For Reduit, yiu can try the basic you want to take the chance there. $1us pp, head out to main highway and flag down the mini-bus with "M" license plates heading north. Ask driver to drop your at Rodney Bay, you'll have to walk about 15 minutes into the beach area. Leave at least 1.5 hours for return in order to leave time to get a bus back down, plus traffic. Buses will stop for you if they have space for you. They do not run on a set schedule, and stop anywhere along the highway. A normal car ride will be about 30 minutes, the bus can take longer due to stops along the way, do leave plenty of time on return. Only one road. Will be tough to get a bus with space for several in the way up as the main terminal is nearby, you could always walk to it to ensure a spot. Behind the craft and food market. Ask anyone to point it out.

Enjoy your visit.