Taxi questions from Philipsburg port

coconut telegraph

I have tried searching for this unique question, but to no avail. I see where you can walk into town from the cruise port which we've done several times, but can you take a taxi directly from the gates outside the dock to all points or do they only take you into the center of town? I'm trying to see if we would be able to skip walking into town just to hail a taxi to the beaches.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The taxi stand is right outside the port entrance and is well marked. We have taken a taxi from there to Orient Beach. You can get a txi to Maho. Not sure about the other beaches.

Edited by itsjb1

I will tell you to ask around and pay attention! The drivers will try to rip you off. The "bus" and the "taxi" look the same, but charge different. We had a local on one of our legs and they tried to charge him the same in euros as dollars and the guy refused and gave him about 3/4 of the cost and walked away (which would be about right with the exchange). When coming back from Maho beach, we were on the "bus" and talking to our fellow riders found out it was only $2 each instead of $5 for a "taxi". When we got out, the others paid their $2 and the guy had the nerve to tell us we had to pay $5 because he picked us up at the beach (the others were already on when we got on). After a short argument, we gave him $2 each and walked off.

So know what the price should be and don't let them rob you!

I have tried searching for this unique question, but to no avail. I see where you can walk into town from the cruise port which we've done several times, but can you take a taxi directly from the gates outside the dock to all points or do they only take you into the center of town? I'm trying to see if we would be able to skip walking into town just to hail a taxi to the beaches.

Thanks in advance for your help!

There is a taxi dispatch center within the Cruise Facility, just off the head of the piers, not outside the port.

They will take you anywhere.

There are several major 'tourist' destinations with posted rates, but they should be able to take you anywhere you desire, certainly to the main beaches.

gary

I will tell you to ask around and pay attention! The drivers will try to rip you off. The "bus" and the "taxi" look the same, but charge different. We had a local on one of our legs and they tried to charge him the same in euros as dollars and the guy refused and gave him about 3/4 of the cost and walked away (which would be about right with the exchange). When coming back from Maho beach, we were on the "bus" and talking to our fellow riders found out it was only $2 each instead of $5 for a "taxi". When we got out, the others paid their $2 and the guy had the nerve to tell us we had to pay $5 because he picked us up at the beach (the others were already on when we got on). After a short argument, we gave him $2 each and walked off.

So know what the price should be and don't let them rob you!

Wow!

Both taxi rates and bus rates are posted/official and enforced.

It is easy to tell the difference, as a taxi has a license plate that says 'TAXI999' and a bus will read 'BUS999'.

The 3/4 payment for Euro vs Dollar is bizarre, as the current exchange rate is that an Euro is about $1.06. Six cents difference.

I am unaware of any bus route that would visit Maho Beach. The official bus stop is out on the main road, near the Sonesta Resort.

The listed rate for a taxi is $20 for one or two, down to $6 per person in a full van.

gary

Wow!

Both taxi rates and bus rates are posted/official and enforced.

It is easy to tell the difference, as a taxi has a license plate that says 'TAXI999' and a bus will read 'BUS999'.

The 3/4 payment for Euro vs Dollar is bizarre, as the current exchange rate is that an Euro is about $1.06. Six cents difference.

I am unaware of any bus route that would visit Maho Beach. The official bus stop is out on the main road, near the Sonesta Resort.

The listed rate for a taxi is $20 for one or two, down to $6 per person in a full van.

gary

Well, then that's just crazy all the way around. The other passengers we talked with told about the license plate (which we didn't know to look for), and the bus we got into was at the main road on the end of maho beach.

We have twice gone by taxi to the Divi Little Bay resort because we had done all the touristy things on previous trips. We did a courtesy e-mail ahead of time, and there was no problem being cruisers there for one day. It is a lovely resort, good snorkeling from shore, restrooms, bar, restaurant available. We paid $12 for a cab each way, $15 for 2 chairs with 1 umbrella, $3 bottled water. There was no problem getting a taxi from the stand incorporated in the port and no problem getting one back to the ship. We may go to Divi Little Bay and stay a week based on what we saw and experienced. Great day.