Just Returned Viking Portraits of Southern France

Edgemere

For those arriving in Chalon to begin the cruise Sunday is market day so if you arrive early venture into town just a few block walk from the ship but worth it. This trips offers both locks (16) and lox for breakfast if you desire. The food is very good the Chef Benjamin does an excellent job and if you desire you can get a galley tour. Should you be fortunate enough to be seated at Adrian's table you will encounter the best waiter we have even had on any cruise river or ocean. The cruise director who does a fantastic job is Susann from Germany, the head hotel is Tobias from Bulgaria, the pianist is Peter from Bulgaria and Nina is always smiling at the front desk and Joana from Portugal will always be there when you need her. We were blessed with excellent weather enjoyed all the walking tours two were very special thanks to the guides Viviers in the evening and Avignon in the morning. We did 3 optionals Cluny, Les Baux and Pont de Gard and enjoyed all. Hopefully you will have a guest speaker name Patrick who shares his insight about how the French think. Wine or beer or soft drinks are served copiously at lunch and dinner. For those who like cocktalis or hard liquor there is a package that can be purchased. This is a more intimate experience with just 144 passengers than a cruise ship with thousands. There are from my perspective both have things going for them. The only negative comment I can make is a minor one and its something Viking should look into for on this cruise when there was a cocktail party for past Viking cruisers it was open to as Susann would call them Viking Virgins or first time cruisers. If one is invited to a gathering by all means offer them a glass of wine or a soda which at meals is free so they will not feel like outcasts or have the party for past guests only in the dining room where the doors can be closed. Overall a great trip for those considering Vantage our ship was in better shape than theirs for those who want to spend even more money Tauck's ship was glitzier but on the sun deck ours had a larger chess set. There were times when the ships of the other companies docked ahead of us, behind or next to us. Safe travels to all and hope you enjoy as much as we did. Should you need additional info I am dart43@hotmail.com

Edgemere ~

Welcome home! SO happy you had a good trip and completely enjoyed your glowing report!! We take this trip in October - our first river cruise - and really looing forward to it!!! Your comments about Viking were great appreciated since we also have 2 friends who booked and they have traveled with Avalon before - I', hoping they'll also enjoy Viking!

I have a few questions - when you have time! Am asking them here since I thought others might learn from the respnses. (I'm also suffering from withdrawal since I'm accustomed to the busy activity of the ocean cruise boards!!

Chalon ~ did you travel there on your own or did you use the ship's transfer?? We'll be in Paris on our own for a few day pre-cruise and are planning on taking the train - just looking for tips if you had done likewise. Idea of the market sounds GREAT - will keep it in mind!

Tours ~ did you take all of them offered? All worthwhile? I know everone enjoys different experiences but just looking for your thoughts. We usually are more independent, rarely take ship excursions - mostly book small (8 people) tours with other CC members - so this is a very new experience for us!

Pont de Gard ~ you say this was offered as an optional tour? I done find it on the itinerary list bit would be thrilled if it's offered on our cruise. We'll be staying in Avignon 2 days post-cruise and I've been looking at day trips including one to Pont de Gard but it would be better for us to do it during the cruise. Do you remember what port it was offered in? approximate cost? Was it during "free time" or in place of another tour?

Chateauneuf du Pape ~ did you take that tour? I read that's an optional tour and we really want to take that one - main reason my husband choose this cruise was that its through the wine country! So any comments on wine tours we'd really enjoy hearing!!!

(All I can think of for now - but I'm sure I'll have more!!!)

Thanks SO much - recover from the trip and PLEASE share any photos you have!!!

We are taking this cruise on the Viking Europe leaving July 29 but going in the reverse direction. I am very excited that an optional excursion to Pont du Gard is offered. Would you recommend any optional excursions over another? Are there any that you would avoid? Also, I have had recent knee surgery and am using a cane to get around. Are there any walking tours that might be "challenging". Any info would be greatly appreciated.:)

Would you recommend any optional excursions over another? Are there any that you would avoid? Also, I have had recent knee surgery and am using a cane to get around. Are there any walking tours that might be "challenging". Any info would be greatly appreciated.:)

I would not recommend the Les Baux tour for you. It is a hilltop mountain town, and the walking may be difficult.

We just cruised from Arles to Dijon on Vantage's MS Rembrandt. The story and pictures are on pour website.

For those arriving in Chalon to begin the cruise Sunday is market day so if you arrive early venture into town just a few block walk from the ship but worth it. This trips offers both locks (16) and lox for breakfast if you desire. The food is very good the Chef Benjamin does an excellent job and if you desire you can get a galley tour. Should you be fortunate enough to be seated at Adrian's table you will encounter the best waiter we have even had on any cruise river or ocean. The cruise director who does a fantastic job is Susann from Germany, the head hotel is Tobias from Bulgaria, the pianist is Peter from Bulgaria and Nina is always smiling at the front desk and Joana from Portugal will always be there when you need her. We were blessed with excellent weather enjoyed all the walking tours two were very special thanks to the guides Viviers in the evening and Avignon in the morning. We did 3 optionals Cluny, Les Baux and Pont de Gard and enjoyed all. Hopefully you will have a guest speaker name Patrick who shares his insight about how the French think. Wine or beer or soft drinks are served copiously at lunch and dinner. For those who like cocktalis or hard liquor there is a package that can be purchased. This is a more intimate experience with just 144 passengers than a cruise ship with thousands. There are from my perspective both have things going for them. The only negative comment I can make is a minor one and its something Viking should look into for on this cruise when there was a cocktail party for past Viking cruisers it was open to as Susann would call them Viking Virgins or first time cruisers. If one is invited to a gathering by all means offer them a glass of wine or a soda which at meals is free so they will not feel like outcasts or have the party for past guests only in the dining room where the doors can be closed. Overall a great trip for those considering Vantage our ship was in better shape than theirs for those who want to spend even more money Tauck's ship was glitzier but on the sun deck ours had a larger chess set. There were times when the ships of the other companies docked ahead of us, behind or next to us. Safe travels to all and hope you enjoy as much as we did. Should you need additional info I am dart43@hotmail.com

Dear Edgemere,

Welcome back from your cruise. We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your trip! Our staff and crew appreciate the kind words you shared about the fantastic service you received. Additionally, we’re thrilled that you had a wonderful time on your walking tours. It’s always a pleasure when you have a knowledgeable guide with you. We’ve taken note about your suggestion regarding the cocktail party, and we will pass it on to the appropriate personnel.

Thank you for choosing Viking River Cruises. We look forward to sailing with you again soon!

Best,

Viking River Cruises

Hi Peg, we did not do the precruise in Paris but instead used celebritys custom air and transfers were included. Since you will be sailing on the Neptune and not the sister ship the Europe forget the names of the people I posted unless they switch ships you wont meet them. Included in our trip were a Beaune and Burgundy wine tour in a cave or cellar and you will get to taste two whites and two reds and a Tournon excursion to a winery where you will get to sample both white and red. Check with Viking to make sure if you are still interested in doing the optional for the Chateaunuf du Pape tour that is available. By the way all optional tours require 20 persons.

Hi Southport, we have seen Aqueducts in Cessaria in Israel and Aspendos in Turkey but the one in Pont Du Gard is the most impressive. The walk to get there is from the bus on a covered pathway and there is a musuem before the end of the tour giving additional information about construction. The Les Baux optional might be difficult for you as might the evening walk in Viviers but if you feel up to it by all means do the Viviers walk.

Thank you so much for the information. Were you able to see any of the lavender fields? Which towns were your favorites and do you have any suggestions as to where to shop for local goods? We are doing the countdown now and can't wait till the cruise begins!

The most outstanding field of Lavender was in St. Remy de Provence part of the Les Baux Optional. Its in the back thru the gift shop. As for gifts be aware that 90% of the seeds for Dijon Mustard are imported from Canada.

Edgemere ~ thanks SO much for the info about the wine tastings - my DH if getting more and more excited!!!!

We've never taken a River Cruise before -so questions ~

Pre-cruise did Viking send any more detailed information regarding tours?

Did you sign-up for optional tours pre-cruise or when you first boarded?

Pont de Gard ~ what port was this an optional tour? Was it free time for others? or where they on a different tour?

Lyon ~ was there an optional tour int he evening to see the lights??

Thanks SO much for sharing your experience with all of us!!

Viking will be sending both you and your husband individual booklets with regard to the cruise. There will be information about optional tours in the booklet and these tours are booked on board not before. The Pont Du Gard tour originates in Avignon as does the Chateauneuf Du Pape should you not want to take either your day is your own after a morning walking tour which is very interesting and hopefully they will take you to the city market which is exceptional and you get to sample olives and garlic and may have feathers tossed at you by the man selling the chickens. There is no official evening tour to see the lights in Lyon but you are just a few blocks from the Bridge which you can cross and be into town. Hope this information helps.

Hi Edgemere ~ your info is very, very helpful!!! About how long before the cruise did you get the booklet????

Do you remember if the market you went to was Les Halles???

We're staying in Avignon 2 days post-cruise and I'm trying to line up at least one tour for Monday but also trying not to repeat what we'll have seen on the ship's tours. The city sounds interesting just to wander around!!

Thanks much!

Yes the market was Les Halles and I think you will get the booklets from Viking between 2 to 4 weeks before departure. We just downloaded 980 photos from the camera to Picasa will see if I can put a few on here before the weekend is out.

Edgemere ~ WOW!!! 8-day cruise - 980 photos - we could be kindred spirits!!!!! (you may have gathered that from my name!!) Please post some photos here or send a link if you post on Picasa. Can't wait to get a preview of what we'll see!!!

Everything you've said has been so positive it's very reassuring!

And I thank you for the interaction - the last few cruises we've taken have been on Celebrity with very active roll calls so I almost feel this is a non-cruise!! You've helped get my enthusiasm up!!!

Edgemere ~ sorry I should have said "screen name"!! But if you'd like to E-mail me the photos I'd LOVE to see them. My e-mail is my screen name at aol dot com.

Not sure where you're located in NJ - if you mentioned it I've forgotten! One son lives in Queens and works in Secaucus and another lives/works in Eatontown! Small world!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Edgemere ~ sorry I should have said "screen name"!! But if you'd like to E-mail me the photos I'd LOVE to see them. My e-mail is my screen name at aol dot com.

Not sure where you're located in NJ - if you mentioned it I've forgotten! One son lives in Queens and works in Secaucus and another lives/works in Eatontown! Small world!!!!!

Hey FotoPeg,

Just saw this post. Please post review of your France trip when you get back. Glad to see you are staying 2 days post trip in Avignon-a favorite city of ours not far from where we stay in Provence. Will you be city bound or consider renting a car? You could easily do a day trip to San Remy and/or Bonnieux. Bonnieux is totally off season, just a lovely countryside drive and lunch. Assume Arles is part of your cruise, but Aix and L'Isle-sur-la-Sorque are also nice day trips. If you want any dining recommendations, etc give a post.

If you do the Chateauneuf-du-Pape excursion, I hope it includes Orange and it's Roman Amphitheater-one of the best preserved anywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

we are going on the Portraits of France Nov. 11th. wish there was more activity on these river cruises as we were used to that on larger ship cruises we have taken. I am a bit of a planner but I see there is no way to find our about optional excursions until just weeks before sailing. Do you recommend and guide books to help with decisions on these optional trips?

We are wine enthusiasts so have picked this trip for obvious reasons and very excited about what we have read on this thread so far. Any more suggestions for purchasing wine? I have read that a local purchase can be served on the ship with no corkage fee? Anyone take the beverage package? Is it worthwhile?

Keep up the posts Edgemere and FotoPeg, Bon Voyage...wish we were going with you.

2thklnr ~ hello – Hello – HELLO!!! SO nice to "talk" with a future cruiser!! Wish we were going on the same cruise!!! I am also a planner and I feel like this is a non-trip since there's SO little to work on and plan!! At least we're doing the pre & post cruise on our own so there was a lot to plan in Paris & Nice! I’m suffering from Roll Call withdrawal!! (I was just spoiled by last year’s cruise – over 100 people on our RC – it was SO active!!)

Are you doing anything pre or post cruise???

As for the optional tours - we received our Viking package last Friday and I have to say I was impressed. Nice travel wallet, 2 lanyards & name cards, luggage travel tags and stick on tags (similar to the ones for any cruise), an area description book and individual itinerary booklets, listing all tours and optional ones – I guess that’s in case we’re not talking!!

The itinerary books look like they're for all cruises so I guess they normally have all the optional tours listed unless there's a last minute change for a particular cruise.

There are 4 optional tours - a quick preview:

Day 2 Beaune, Tournus & Macon: Cluny Tour 49€ - "during lunch ship sails for Tournus" optional bus tour to town of Cluny to see the ruins of the Benedictine Abbey. Don't know what happens about lunch! We're thinking about this one - don't know if it sounds that exciting and we'll just be on the ship so maybe we'll just enjoy the cruising.

Day 3 Lyon - Perouges Tour 39€ - medieval town used for exterior shots in many French films – or so says the book! Again not sure - Lyon looks pretty interesting so we may decide to stay there. There’s an included tour in the morning so I’ve begun a list of restaurants to maybe have lunch on shore – after all Lyon is an important culinary city! There also a French Resistance Museum very near where the Neptune docks and we’re planning on seeing it the following morning before sailing.

Day 6 Arles: Les Baux Tour 49€ - looks like a very interesting hill top town - lots of cobblestones so difficult walking but we may decide to take this one!

Day 7 Avignon: 2 tours offered – both 49€

1. Pont du Gard, the famous Roman aqueduct - we both really want to see this!

2. Chateauneuf du Pape - a definite! the reason we're taking this cruise! DH is really "into" wine! He enjoys the shopping and choosing and we both enjoy the drinking!!

So we’re working out just what we’ll do in Avignon. We’re staying there 2 nights post-cruise until we move on to Nice so we’re deciding which tour we’ll do on Monday. I have an E-mail out about a full day of wine touring – just waiting for the price to decide what we’ll take on the ship.

We looked at the beverage package but decided against it – what with wine at lunch and dinner - also being able to bring wine on board at any port. I’m sure we’ll have cocktails at some point but we didn’t think the package was worth it.

As for purchasing wine, I’m sure we’ll have opportunities at vineyards we visit and also any places around where the ship docks. We usually cruise Celebrity and their policy is that you can bring 2 bottles of wine onboard as you embark – just for room use. We sailed from Venice a few years ago and found a small shop near our hotel to buy wine. DH was in heaven! and took SO long I thought we’d miss our boat!!

Hope this helps a little and sorry about being so long-winded but I’ve been starved for interaction!!!! Let me know your plans!

• 9 months later...

:(:mad: The trip up the Rhone in France on the ship Neptune 8-14 May was an utter disaster. My 93-year-old mother in law, who was fresh out of hospital, had the idea she would be resting in her stateroom watching the river go by. This was the only reason she'd agreed to come on holiday.

It wasn’t entirely Viking Cruises’ fault (the river was so swollen, negotiating the locks was dangerous). But surely a company of Viking’s size might have had the common sense to anticipate that some elderly and frail passengers might not take kindly to being disembarked each morning for 9 hours while the boat sailed up the river and through the locks with a skeleton crew in accordance with Health and Safety. The only place for the frail and elderly to rest was on the tour bus taking us on the hours-long trip to the next docking place! As a diversion, we were offered an unscheduled a tour of a candy factory, but we and other elderly passengers declined. So we found ourselves shortly afterwards having paid thousands of pounds sterling in order to sit on a bus in a car park ! Many of us complained of course, and one American passenger who had paid 7,000 US dollars for his trip stood up at dinner and challenged the senior officer and chief tour guide about the lack of foresight and organisation. Their response? They offered us free drinks in the bar that night! The next day we were given the offer of transferring to a hotel in Lyon, but of course, the stress of it all was too much, and to take up the hotel offer would have meant my husband, myself and the 93-year old lady packing and disembarking within 20 minutes flat! The situation became totally bizarre when a senior officer told my husband and me that ‘Your mother can stay on board tomorrow, but she must hide in her cabin. Otherwise I will be in big trouble!!’ The upshot? Unsolicited, Viking offered my husband and me a discount of 50% on any cruise we might book with them in the future. I thought it was very rude of them not to offer the same discount to my mother in law! We will of course never, never, never take up Viking’s offer. A Viking cruise is now our idea of hell.

Archived