Venice pre/post cruise questions

Mgugs46

Hi everyone!

This July/August my wife and I are cruising on the Rhapsody of the Seas leaving from and returning to Venice. I was hoping some of you more experienced cruisers/travelers could help with a few questions:

We land at VCE Saturday morning at 9:05AM, and the ship leaves at 5:00PM. Can anyone tell me what the best way to get to the cruise terminal is? I'm thinking regular car taxi for 40€ would be the quickest/easiest solution? I'd like to get checked in as early as possible to have a few hours to just wander around Venice pre-cruise.

The following Saturday at 645AM our ship returns to Venice. We are most likely staying at the Metropole as my parents stayed there and loved it. Anyone else stay here? I was figuring on a private water taxi to the hotel from the cruise terminal area. I was quoted 80€ to Metropole. I do not want a shared transfer or anything like that. I was thinking we could take the long way through the Grand Canal for some extra money, but they won't do it at that hour. What's the best way to take a ride on the canal? Or is it not even worth it?

The return flight back to the US is at 10:55AM the next day. The private water taxi company said the best time to leave Metropole would be 8:10AM. Does this seem like enough time? I have read horror stories about VCE.

Unfortunately we only have the limited time in Venice due to work constraints but I'd like to maximize what little time we do have....any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Yes, a land taxi would be the quickest and easiest way to reach the pier from the airport.

If you want a private water taxi up and down the Canal, you can hire one after you're settled into your hotel. Or, you can ride the public water bus, fr 7.5E each way.

And yes, a trip along the canal is definitely worthwhile.

Based on my experiences.......for an 11am flight you should be at the VCE dock by 8:15. (Its a 7-10 minute walk to the terminal)

Edited by mapleleaves
NOT DONE

Any idea what a private taxi ride through the canal would cost?

There are many canals in Venice, but we are assuming you are talking about the Grand Canal. I think they have tried to restrict leisure traffic in that Canal during peak periods, but one never knows from day to day about what rules are in effect. But using a water taxi for a short local ride is based on time with 30 minutes costing about 70€. If you wanted an hour you will pay more than 100€. Consider that the two most frequent Vaporetto (water buses) Lines (the #1 and #2) both circle the entire island of Venice including the Grand Canal. A single Vaporetto ticket will cost you 7.5€ although many folks prefer to buy a 24 hour (you can also get 48, 72, etc) which pay for itself if you take as few as 3 vaporetto rides in a day.

Another very popular option is to hire a Gondola which usually costs around 90€ for a 40-45 min ride. Gondolas generally prefer to avoid the Grand Canal because of all the boat trafffic......but we think they are much more fun while doing some of the smaller canals that are all over Venice.

By the way, many folks are not aware that the Grand Canal does not go past St Marks Square. The Canal in front of St Marks (still used by cruise ships to enter and leave Venice) is called the Canal di San Marco. The cruise ships use that Canal and continue along the Giudecca Canal to the port facility.

Hanknal.

What's the best way to take a ride on the canal? Or is it not even worth it?

It's definitely worth it; not to be missed. The #1 vaporetto is the leisurely way to do it. You really need to get a guidebook or download something like the Rick Steves audio guide for the Grand Canal so you'll know what you're looking at,

Thanks for the tips. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get out of the VCE airport? I know the car taxi ride to the cruise terminal is about 15/20 minutes.

Basically if we land at 9:05AM, what is a reasonable expectation for arriving at the cruise terminal?

Thanks for the tips. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get out of the VCE airport? I know the car taxi ride to the cruise terminal is about 15/20 minutes.

Basically if we land at 9:05AM, what is a reasonable expectation for arriving at the cruise terminal?

It is kind of a crap shoot which depends on whether other flights have arrived around the same time. But we would estimate about 30-40 min with the delay simply caused by the time to get your luggage. We have never had any real delays at Passport control. So with some luck you should be at the port by 10:30...if using a taxi.

Hank

Thank you. Assuming we can get checked in on the Rhapsody by say 11:30AM, what's the easiest way to go explore for a few hours? Can we walk from there cruise terminal area or do we need a water taxi to get someplace?

From the cruise pier, you can take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma ( 3 minute monorail ride, 1.5E).

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

PRoma is as far as land vehicles can go in Venice; it's basically a large parking lot for buses, taxis, cars.

When you exit the People Mover you're in PRoma and the entrance to Venice. From there you need to figure out what you want to see and do.......if you walk across the square you're at the Grand Canal. You can take a water bus down the Canal to Rialto or St Marks or wherever. If you want a different route back, you could take the Alilaguna directly to the cruise pier. A 20 minute ride but pay attention to the schedule. http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-blu/map

You can also walk from PRoma to St Marks or vv. Takes about an hour , if you have a good sense of direction.

Lots of info in the veniceforvisitors site:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm