Restaurant in Positano for lunch

mickeysgal

We did a private tour two years ago and stopped at La Tagliata in the hills above Positano. The food was great and the views of Positano below were incredible. There was no menu ... they bring you a variety of food based on what is fresh in their gardens. There were no bad dishes.

http://www.latagliata.com/en/homepage

Edited by rjp50

My favorite restaurant in Positano is da Costantino. It is also up on the hillside with breathtaking views of Positano and the sea below. Their specialties include hand made pastas, pizzas, seafood, etc., typical southern Italian fare. There are great food photos and write ups on Trip Advisor. Love the food photos! :)

da-costantino.jpg.ec6843d55bb8301c1ed22e1f6cbf4ef7.jpg

the-end.jpg.25af044a5feeb72a07d09d11422a9772.jpg

ristorante-da-costantino.jpg.5acc9c024bd7ed72b21a85e98c2d3728.jpg

the-owner-of-da-costintino.jpg.da2d32fb83d61b3dfe817ab6e54049bb.jpg

We did a private tour two years ago and stopped at La Tagliata in the hills above Positano. The food was great and the views of Positano below were incredible. There was no menu ... they bring you a variety of food based on what is fresh in their gardens. There were no bad dishes.

Here is the third vote for La Tagliata in the super scenic hills dramatically overlooking Positano. Need proof and real "evidence" for these options? Below are a few of my visuals for what we saw and enjoy. More on the full love/blog connected below.

Here is more background on La Tagliata. It is built on three terraces with great views of Positano and its dramatic coastline. Overlooking organic vegetable gardens and vineyards, these super fresh items are grown and used in the restaurant’s kitchen. This local wine is produced without any chemicals and has a special taste that highlights this part of the visit to Italy, the world’s largest wine producer. La Tagliata is operated by Dora and Don Luigi. They serve handmade pasta made by Signora Dora, with her son Vincenzo working along side her in the kitchen. Two other children, Peppino and Antonietta, serve tables and greet guests with warm, friendly, family hospitality.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 197,860 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

In the kitchen, this is our chef-owner, Dora Luigi, in the area where our meal was prepared. Excellent setting, food and a less-touristy focus.:

PositanoDiningChefInKitchen.jpg

Here is an overall view for one of the dining areas with its great vista, then Dora Luigi giving our guide-driver Carmine a big hug, a sampling of the many desserts served to our table. Plus one of the pasta treats!!:

AmalfiDiningView2.jpg

AmalfiChefCarmineHug.jpg

PositanoDessertOptions.jpg

PositanoMtsPastaYellowWine.jpg

Well I am the odd man out…… err girl out…..

After 4 visits to the Amalfi coast we decided to visit La Tagliata on our last private tour…… we had heard so much about it !

I hate to say this but we didn't experience the same thing everyone else raves about…….

They were very busy on this day (a common occurrence when cruise ships are in port from what we hear) and we did not get that "warm Italian family" experience we were looking forward to. In my opinion they have become very touristy…..

We were seated at a back table by the kitchen door( only 2 of us and all the large groups get to sit by the railing = good view) so we did not have any view. All we could hear was yelling and shouting from the kitchen - I think someone was in a bad mood that day !!! It took so long to get served our driver came in asking about us…… he went straight into the kitchen and from then on it sped up a bit. Even then they would bring the food and practically throw it on the table….. so very rushed once it got going.

When you have a limited amount of time to do the coast tour - you are counting on good service to keep your day on track…….

I was so disappointed and kept apologizing to my husband - after all he had heard how good it was going to be for months from me !!!! :eek:

As for the food - it was ok. Nothing spectacular.

Anyway I just wanted to post another view ….. hopefully this won't be your experience.

With a reservation, about how much time should we expect to spend at La Tagliata for lunch?

Good question. I went back to my photo file and checked the detailed time codes from my pictures when we arrived there . . . to the time when we departed. It was about an hour and 20 minutes.

Much depends on your "style" and schedule. At this location, they know there are many passengers from cruise ships where they are trying to "pack in" lots of sights and stops before and after their luncheon time period.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 51,068 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

We did our tour with Joe Banana tours (excellent). The person from our Roll Call who organized our tour conveyed that we wanted to eat at La Taglia and Joe Banana handled all of the reservations. The driver knew the amount of time to be allocated for the meal and coordinated the tour accordingly. He obviously has had many clients go there and knew the staff quite well and I'm sure would have handled any problems if they had arisen.

Since there is no menu, can someone tell me what typically is served? Is it mostly seafood, pasta, etc?

As my pictures illustrated, there was a variety of offerings and it was served "family style". I do not remember whether there was a meat or seafood option, but that was probably provided. Clearly, there was pasta, dessert, salad, wine, etc. Nobody went away hungry and/or not getting enough to eat. Hope this helps. Keep the good questions rolling along.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 106,077 views for this posting.

Our meal included an Antipasto platter, pasta, grilled meats and some fish. They raise all of their own animals and grow all of the vegatables on site.

As Terry mentioned, you will not leave hungry. I'm sure if you wanted something different they would accomodate.

Is it expensive? We are taking a private tour, just the two of us. The Tour Company says the driver will suggest a place to eat, if we wish and am wondering if I should mention this place. We will leave the Port of Naples and do the Amalfi Coast to include, Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento. He will bring us to the Ferry at Sorrento and that will take us back to the ship. Any other suggestions? Thanx!

La tagliata was one of the highlights of my last trip!! Loved it. Joe bananas ( italytoursharing.com) took our group there as bigger vehicles can not get all the way up there. It was family style which meant the platters of food kept coming as did the wine and Lemonchello!! Lol... It was all included in the tour!!

I already have this tour booked again with italytoursharing.com this summer!! ( I heard joe bananas limo was the original tour company who added this stop...it really has taken off as it is a family ran restaurant and they must appreciate the business!!

It was not expensive at all. We were 4 people and had lots to eat and 2 bottle of wine and it worked out to about 25 Euro each.

Yes, that 25 euro price was what we were charged in June 2011 when visiting at this scenic location. Lots of food, loved the variety and choices.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 21,998 views for these postings.