Santa Barbara Trolley Tours - Cruise Ship Blackout Dates?

Hello,

Our cruise will be stopping in Santa Barbara. Based on recommendations from other posters I thought the Santa Barbara Trolley would be a fun thing to do: http://www.sbtrolley.com/santa-barbara-tours-tickets.php

When I tried to buy a ticket it listed "Cruise Ship Black Out dates" which include the date I will be there. However, it seems you can still buy a ticket. They also have a warning on the site that buying a ticket does not mean you will be able to get a seat.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If I do buy a ticket does it mean that there is no realistic chance of getting a seat, or does it work differently in real life?

Thanks.

When we were there last October we bought the tickets online and walked from the ship to the trolley stop. We were on the first trolley of the day. The first place we were going to get off was at the Mission but the driver told everyone we could only stay there a very short time for a "potty stop" and to get back on - he would wait. He said we wouldn't be able to get on the next one if we stayed. That really didn't make much sense because I would think that others would be getting off the next one if they didn't tell people not to. The next place we got off was at the courthouse and from there we just walked. The ride from where we got on to the courthouse where we got off was very pleasant. From the courthouse we walked to the main street and walked around and then we were going to take the cheap little bus - I think it was 50 cents - back to near the ship but after waiting for quite a few to pass by full we ended up walking all the way back which was tiring. Maybe we just didn't have good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
When we were there last October we bought the tickets online and walked from the ship to the trolley stop. We were on the first trolley of the day. The first place we were going to get off was at the Mission but the driver told everyone we could only stay there a very short time for a "potty stop" and to get back on - he would wait. He said we wouldn't be able to get on the next one if we stayed. That really didn't make much sense because I would think that others would be getting off the next one if they didn't tell people not to. The next place we got off was at the courthouse and from there we just walked. The ride from where we got on to the courthouse where we got off was very pleasant. From the courthouse we walked to the main street and walked around and then we were going to take the cheap little bus - I think it was 50 cents - back to near the ship but after waiting for quite a few to pass by full we ended up walking all the way back which was tiring. Maybe we just didn't have good luck.

Thanks for the response!

It sounds like you basically just got a ride from the ship to the Courthouse. I'd like to see the Mission, so perhaps I would be better off just getting a taxi, or walking if it is not too far.

Thanks for the response!

It sounds like you basically just got a ride from the ship to the Courthouse. I'd like to see the Mission, so perhaps I would be better off just getting a taxi, or walking if it is not too far.

It was a long ride to the courthouse and we enjoyed the ride as it went past a lot of things. It didn't just go straight to the courthouse - if you look at their website I think it shows the route. Walking to the Mission would be quite a hike. Maybe you could take that cheap shuttle (I think 50 cents) to the end, if you can get on it, and then walk from there.

It was a long ride to the courthouse and we enjoyed the ride as it went past a lot of things. It didn't just go straight to the courthouse - if you look at their website I think it shows the route. Walking to the Mission would be quite a hike. Maybe you could take that cheap shuttle (I think 50 cents) to the end, if you can get on it, and then walk from there.

Thanks..... I need to study the map a bit further. If the ship's excursion is not that expensive maybe I will just do that. I'm really just looking to get a tour of Santa Barbara.

Thanks..... I need to study the map a bit further. If the ship's excursion is not that expensive maybe I will just do that. I'm really just looking to get a tour of Santa Barbara.

We're planning to walk around town in October (Crown Princess) and hop on to the Waterfront Shuttle ($0.50ea) at the Harbor and take the ride up in to town on State Street hopping off at the end of the Downtown route on Sola Street where it loops around on to Victoria Street......the Court House is just a couple of blocks from the turn-around........the Mission location looks like it is a few blocks further over to Laguna Street.

Then we plan to make our way down State Street sight-seeing and slip over to Anacapa Street for the Urban Wine Trail tastings.......then on down to Stearns Wharf.

All day there so will be making frequent rest stops along the way at quaint cafes, market places and garden areas.......will be wiped out by end of day:eek:

We're planning to walk around town in October (Crown Princess) and hop on to the Waterfront Shuttle ($0.50ea) at the Harbor and take the ride up in to town on State Street hopping off at the end of the Downtown route on Sola Street where it loops around on to Victoria Street......the Court House is just a couple of blocks from the turn-around........the Mission location looks like it is a few blocks further over to Laguna Street.

Then we plan to make our way down State Street sight-seeing and slip over to Anacapa Street for the Urban Wine Trail tastings.......then on down to Stearns Wharf.

All day there so will be making frequent rest stops along the way at quaint cafes, market places and garden areas.......will be wiped out by end of day:eek:

That sounds like a great plan! A nice way to explore the town. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We did a similiar thing last fall but the Old Mission is farther away. We took the shuttle up State street and then the bus to the mission and the natural history museum around the corner. In hindsight, I would take a cab for $8 from wharf to the mission and use the bus to get back to the top part of town and walk back to the ship.

We visited Au Bon Climat for some nice pinot noir. We also walked back to the ship as the wait for the shuttle was too long. If anyone has difficulties walking, catch the shuttle going UP state street and stay on when it turns around.

I really enjoyed Santa Barbara.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick follow up for those who might be interested:

The day we will be in Santa Barbara is listed as a "Cruise ship blackout date." I called Santa Barbara Trolleys to find out what that means, and the very helpful person explained that most of their trolleys are booked by the cruise line, and there are only two left for their regular route on the blackout dates.

He said that the trolley holds 30 people, but at each stop it is not unusual to have 50 to 60 people waiting for the next trolley. They tell people who get on that they should not get off (just do the whole tour) because it will be hard to get a seat on a later trolley. Ferndale Girl... this sounds like what they told you when you were on the trolley.

Basically, he advised me not to do a trolley tour on one of cruise ship blackout dates. In his words the town is "overwhelmed" when cruise ships come to call.