Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Azamara Club Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Azamara Club Cruises
Find Your Azamara Club Cruises Roll Call

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Why cruise to Bermuda?

My wife has seen some information about sailing to Bermuda but I don't see why we should cruise versus just flying there and staying on the island for a week.
Any personal experience from cruisers who have done both, flown to Bermuda and stayed versus taking a cruise to Bermuda and docking for a few days? Advantages?

PTC

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have only cruised to Bermuda several times but have heard it is very expensive to stay there. We took a boat tour around Bermuda and the guide pointed out several hotels which were way out of our price range so I'm sure thats why many choose to cruise instead of staying on the island for a week at a hotel.
You also can't rent a car but however the buses are very convenient to get around. I would not recommend renting a moped since you have to drive on the other side of the road.

Next Cruise: Explorer of the Seas Mar. 11, '14

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Bermuda can be very expensive to stay and eat at. Cruising is a much more affordable way to see the beautiful island.
Sensation
Destiny
Victory
NCL Sun
NCL Sea
Disney Magic
Disney Wonder
Celebrity Horizon
Regal Empress

Old February 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtotrvl1 View Post
Bermuda can be very expensive to stay and eat at. Cruising is a much more affordable way to see the beautiful island.
Dreaded white screen....

Old February 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtotrvl1 View Post
Have done both and cruising is more economical and the most compelling reason is that it is a cruise. IMHO, don't need another reason...

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:13 AM
10,000+ Club

IMO, the only reason to cruise versus stay at a hotel in Bermuda is cost.

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old February 9th, 2007, 09:20 AM
5,000+ Club

For me, give me a cruise, anyday, to anywhere, over an airplane! I can get on the ship, have a nice dinner, spend the next day by the pool, dinner again and wake up in Bermuda.

The ships that dock in Hamilton ARE your hotel, right on the main street. Walk off the ship, have a drink, shop a little and take a bus to the beach.

Visitors are not allowed to rent cars and the mopeds you can rent are not as 'peppy' as the ones they allow the locals to have. Basically, you are going to get run over by everyone else.

Lunch in a Mexican restaurant ( Margarita and a fresh fish sandwich) was $45. For one. Most people go back to the ship to eat.

So, yes, the cost is less, but also you have two wonderful days of sailing and because you change docks, you get to stay in two different areas of Bermuda.

Cruising sounds like a winner to me.

Caviergirl, I was surprised at your comments!

Old February 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuggers View Post
Caviergirl, I was surprised at your comments!
tuggers, I am not a Bermuda fan, by land or by sea. My comment was from that perspective as I would not choose to go again no matter what the arrangement.

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old February 9th, 2007, 09:45 AM
5,000+ Club

CG, ok, now I understand!

Old February 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
My wife has seen some information about sailing to Bermuda but I don't see why we should cruise versus just flying there and staying on the island for a week.
Any personal experience from cruisers who have done both, flown to Bermuda and stayed versus taking a cruise to Bermuda and docking for a few days? Advantages? PTC
Bermuda is a place that is very expensive, both the hotels and the restaurants. In the past, many people found it cheaper to cruise to Bermuda than to take a land based vacation. We did exactly that this past summer having taken a cruise to Bermuda on the Zenith. Since we live near the port, no airfare was involved. Based on arrival and departure times in Bermuda the cruise gave us 3 3/4 days on the island. A four night hotel stay in Bermuda, plus food and airfare would have cost more then the 7 night cruise so the cruise gave us way more bang for our buck. Celebrity has however replaced the Zenith on the Bermuda run with the Journey at significantly higher prices. As such, the price advantage to crusing has likely been negated. Now it's more of a question of which you prefer, a land based vacation or a cruise.

6,200 Posts Lost In the Conversion

Old February 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Bermuda is our favorite Island. We have cruised there four times. Cost is a factor. Very expensive Island. Plus, we just love to be on a cruise ship. So relaxing. So much to see & do that we haven't done it all. Planning on going back on a cruise, of course.

Old February 9th, 2007, 10:18 AM
LoveMyBoxer

I agree with everyone's comments about the cost factor. Bermuda, to me, is the most beutiful Island. We have sailed there every year since 1992. However, they keep reducing the ships going there. Choices are becoming limited and the prices are going up.

Old February 9th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you all for the comments.

PTC

Old February 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
10,000+ Club

Best reason of all. Because we can.

For me it's cheaper to drive or fly to embarkation point than to fly to Bermuda. Cruise fare is cheaper than paying for room, meal, shows on Bermuda. The service of waiters and cabin stewards it better than you'll receive at the hotel or restaurants. There's no chancing the quaility of the hotel or restaurants, you pretty know what you get with a cruise ship.
10/08, Century 1/02, 10/05, 2/14,
Equinox 11/10, Galaxy 3/01, 9/02,
12/04, 2/07, Mercury
1/04, Millennium 4/05,
Reflection12/12, Solstice 11/08, 1/09,
Summit 4/04, 1/13
Disney - Dream
6/13, Magic 3/10, Wonder 7/09

Princess -
Caribbean
10/06, Golden 3/11,Ruby 11/09

RCCL - Brilliance
3/03, Enchantment 1/08, 11/13, 11/14 Explorer 11/07, Jewel 4/12, 4/13,
Liberty
1/11, Mariner 2/12, Monarch 1/10, Navigator
4/09

237 Days at Sea and Counting
Future Cruises - Oasis OTS, Anthem OTS

Last edited by chessbriar; February 9th, 2007 at 01:53 PM.

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

I lived in NY my whole life and couldn't affort to go to Bermuda as a land trip, but I moved to Miami and starting cruising and decided to finally see Bermuda and I'm glad I did.

I did Bermuda on the Horizon back in May 2003. I chose it because they have the best itin and their ships can dock right at the pier in St. Georges and Hamilton.

I checked out prices of hotels when I was there thinking I would come back, but they wanted over $350 a night. Food was also very expensive there, and personally not very good.

I would do the cruise on Celebrity. Use the ship as your floating hotel, enjoy the fabulous food Celebrity offers and you will still be able to see all of Bermuda.

I just came back from Hawaii and I have to admit, Bermuda has nicer beaches than Hawaii. Just my opinion. Horseshoe beach is beautiful. Bermuda is charming.

There are no rental cars period on the entire island not even for the locals. The roads are very narrow. Even if you are on the bus, don't put your arm out the window, that's how close you come to the walls on the road. No moped or bike for me.

They have a great bus and ferry service. For $28 you can get a three-day pass and use this to get around the island.

We got up one morning and took the ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard then picked up the one to St. Georges. We sailed around the island on the ferry to St. Georges, just beautiful and you get to meet the locals. We then toured St. Georges again and took the bus back to Hamilton. Once you have the pass you can get around very easily. They also take you to all the beaches. The only downside is you have to wait for the bus, but that's the fun of it.

The Northerns cruise Bermuda like I cruise the Caribbean. But there's not comparison...Bermuda is much nicer than the Caribbean in my opinion.

Legend of the Seas - Dec 15, 2014
Serenade of the Seas - Oct 19, 2015
Celebrity Reflection - Dec 12, 2015

Sailed:
Azamara - 1 cruise
Celebrity - 13 cruises
Holland - 1 cruise
Royal Caribbean - 9 cruises
Oceania - 2 cruises

Old February 11th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for posting this question. Good timing - I was just wondering the same thing myself. I guess the only factor is we were looking into going in early January so the hotels are a lot cheaper since it is cool. But I would probably enjoy it more in the warm summer.
*Carnival Sensation 6/24/07 - Girls trip!
*X Century 1/18/07
*RC Serenade 1/14/06
*RC Voyager 12/15/02
*Carnival Fantasy 6/1991