Naples...Jack the driver

We just got back from the Mediterranean Cruise and used Salvatore. www.*****. We toured Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. He took us to a fabulous spot on a cliff for lunch. He spoke beautful English and was a native of Amalfi. I would not give up the opportunity to book him if he's available for your date.

FAMILYFIVE....

I have booked him for Oct. 13. Heard good things also. Really wanted to book Francesco Marrapese, as he is very highly recommended. He was booked, however, when I spoke to him he told me that Jack the driver was a wonderful driver/guide and he also uses him when his groups are too large.

So, if one of the best says he's good....I'll take it he's gonna be alright. Also, his price was beyond competitive. Hope you have a wonderful experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to everyone,

someone in this thread is suggesting another driver, but he/she is the same that requested me a cheap price in change of a good critic. Have a look of the thred: do you really believe all the critics are true?

Thanks to all for their contribute, Jack

• 9 years later...

We returned to Postiano/Sorrento for a second visit and was in need of a driver for our party of 6. The reviews of this tour company lead us to book him. We were given a price of $570 Euros which we thought was a bit pricey but based on the reviews, felt we would give it a try.

Jack sent a young man to meet us at the port to begin our tour to Capri. We went to go get tickets and have to purchase these tickets for the 6 of us costing a few hundred dollars for the travel. The line was long and we could not make the 1st boat but managed to get on the 2nd boat. Know that we would be traveling there, it would have made sense to have the tickets in advance. I had correspondence with Jack and he said that getting tickets would be no problem but left us at the port for 45 min waiting as a result. Upon arrival at Capri, we indicated that we wanted tickets to go to the Blue Grotto. Instead, the young man emerged from a back office with tickets for travel around the island. As it was beautiful, nonetheless, we were pushed to do the tour and told it was already paid for and then we got the bill for it following the tour. Following this, we took the tram to the top and started walking around for about 20 minutes and then told we needed to leave to meet Jack in Sorento and bought more tickets to take the hydrofoil to Sorrento. We ended up there about 45 min late to Sorrento and upon arrival, dropped off the young man at the top of the hill and then Jack says, tell me what you want to do. We asked for some ideas, history or otherwise and he said to go to the old city. He dropped us off 5 min later and then said he would be back in an hour. At the end of the hour, he arrived and then drop us to postiano. He dropped us off and said to meet him back there in an hour and a half. During the drive there, if he communicated more than 100 words, I would be shocked. Each time we asked a question, we got a few word answer if that. Having been here before, we knew certain things to do but for $570 for this "tour", we basically had a glorified taxi driver.

When we returned to the van, we found him sleeping and then he proceed to drive us for another hour or so back to the ship. He did ask us our opinion of the tour and apologied and said he didn't do a good job but happily took full price for his efforts. Our 570 euro tour full service guide turned into almost 1000 euros and no guiding and appearing to be using their "friends" to make some additional $$.

It is unfortunate as we have two separate friends going in the later part of this month and next and we have indicated to them to not use this company and cancel.

If you are going to go to Naples and want to see Capri, just take the hydrofoil from the dock and save the cost of a tour. The hydrofoil also goes to Sorrento and back to the ship dock without the need for a driver which you will pay for anyways with this group.

You could take a taxi or other transportation to Positiano and back to Sorrento for about 20% of the cost.

Buyer Beware! We were all greatly disappointed!

We returned to Postiano/Sorrento for a second visit and was in need of a driver for our party of 6. The reviews of this tour company lead us to book him. We were given a price of $570 Euros which we thought was a bit pricey but based on the reviews, felt we would give it a try.

Jack sent a young man to meet us at the port to begin our tour to Capri. We went to go get tickets and have to purchase these tickets for the 6 of us costing a few hundred dollars for the travel. The line was long and we could not make the 1st boat but managed to get on the 2nd boat. Know that we would be traveling there, it would have made sense to have the tickets in advance. I had correspondence with Jack and he said that getting tickets would be no problem but left us at the port for 45 min waiting as a result. Upon arrival at Capri, we indicated that we wanted tickets to go to the Blue Grotto. Instead, the young man emerged from a back office with tickets for travel around the island. As it was beautiful, nonetheless, we were pushed to do the tour and told it was already paid for and then we got the bill for it following the tour. Following this, we took the tram to the top and started walking around for about 20 minutes and then told we needed to leave to meet Jack in Sorento and bought more tickets to take the hydrofoil to Sorrento. We ended up there about 45 min late to Sorrento and upon arrival, dropped off the young man at the top of the hill and then Jack says, tell me what you want to do. We asked for some ideas, history or otherwise and he said to go to the old city. He dropped us off 5 min later and then said he would be back in an hour. At the end of the hour, he arrived and then drop us to postiano. He dropped us off and said to meet him back there in an hour and a half. During the drive there, if he communicated more than 100 words, I would be shocked. Each time we asked a question, we got a few word answer if that. Having been here before, we knew certain things to do but for $570 for this "tour", we basically had a glorified taxi driver.

When we returned to the van, we found him sleeping and then he proceed to drive us for another hour or so back to the ship. He did ask us our opinion of the tour and apologied and said he didn't do a good job but happily took full price for his efforts. Our 570 euro tour full service guide turned into almost 1000 euros and no guiding and appearing to be using their "friends" to make some additional $$.

It is unfortunate as we have two separate friends going in the later part of this month and next and we have indicated to them to not use this company and cancel.

If you are going to go to Naples and want to see Capri, just take the hydrofoil from the dock and save the cost of a tour. The hydrofoil also goes to Sorrento and back to the ship dock without the need for a driver which you will pay for anyways with this group.

You could take a taxi or other transportation to Positiano and back to Sorrento for about 20% of the cost.

Buyer Beware! We were all greatly disappointed!

No offense intended but it seems a little odd that you have dug up this thread from 2005 in order to make this (your first post ever) complaint.

It would only have required a little research in advance to know that nearly all of the advertised private "tours" are really just drivers and that the customer is responsible for nearly all other costs associated with the day.

Also, it would be fairly obvious (based on the name "Jack the Driver" that the service provided is transportation, not information. If the guide did not provide a lot of information about the places visited, that's too bad but it really isn't his job...."

On the Italy board, it has been recommended numerous times that NO tour is required for a day in Capri; it just seems silly to pay for a driver....