Gibraltar caves - terrain?

For people who have been to St Michael's Cave and the Great Siege Tunnel before, can you give your opinion on what they're like?

Is there any scrabbling/crawling/stooping/turning sideways at any stage, or are the paths smooth, wide and high? St Micheal's looks like there are wide steps all the way - roughly how many steps are there in and out - 2 or 3 storey house roughly?

Is the Great Siege Tunnel a bit claustrophobic?

For people who have been to St Michael's Cave and the Great Siege Tunnel before, can you give your opinion on what they're like?

Is there any scrabbling/crawling/stooping/turning sideways at any stage, or are the paths smooth, wide and high? St Micheal's looks like there are wide steps all the way - roughly how many steps are there in and out - 2 or 3 storey house roughly?

Is the Great Siege Tunnel a bit claustrophobic?

At about 1.50 in the first video shows St Michael's Cave. The top part is like a big theatre, with very wide steps down. From memory, the path/steps down to the lower level is tighter but still not cramped.

The Great Siege Tunnels are not claustrophobic and for me the highlight of the visit, although the WWII tunnels were great too if you have a very good guide. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]EHNGMyY7v-A[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]0UWYOuN4phs[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

Thanks Tony - I've had to beat a hasty retreat from caves/tunnels elsewhere in the past, so was thinking if they were tight I might just stay outside, but they look "airy" enough :)

Really enjoyed your videos - thank you :)

I've been to Gibraltar several times, and always enjoy my visits :D

Thanks (and to Thoie too)

Here's the WWII tunnels - very interesting if nothing like as atmospheric as the GSTs, but we had a great guide. Takes about 50 minutes and back in 2013 cost £8pp.

[YOUTUBE]QpBAu6E7vEA[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...

The Great Siege Tunnels are not claustrophobic and for me the highlight of the visit, although the WWII tunnels were great too if you have a very good guide. All the best, Tony

Tony, can you tell me who you used for the guide.

Thank you.

Tony, can you tell me who you used for the guide.

Thank you.

Hi

When I did my WWII tunnels tour (2013) you could not book ahead of time, so we just showed up and hoped - and got lucky. Our guide was Hans Jorg and he was a scream, very knowledgeable but with a superb sense of humour too. You can see him in that video. Unless things have changed you will be in a similar position of having to take pot luck. Of course Hans may not be the only very good guide who does that tour. Our tour took an hour and cost £8, but I think tours now are 40 minutes. That's still fine - we were there when it was only a fledgling operation. All the best, Tony

• 1 month later...
Tony,

Thanks for the videos! We'll be there next April and this gave us a really good feel for what we'll see.

Merrill

We did a taxi tour (apes, tunnels, etc.) and then I took a public bus to the airport. Walking across the airport (literally!) was fun and a new experience. It wasn't too far to walk from the port to catch a bus, and the bus was pretty easy to find with a little pre-planning. Then I took another bus down to the lighthouse and mosque at the end of Gib - that was fun, too. My husband stayed in town to shop a tiny bit, but lost interest quickly as all that stuff is just stuff - no bargains.

The siege tunnels were an excellent experience with the exception that it had rained the day before and the tunnels were dripping - a LOT.

The floors were wet and slick in parts. The grade was difficult for some but not all that bad unless for the mobility impaired. Of 22 on our mini-bus we were 2 of the 4 people who finished - the others gave up when it got wetter and the grade got steeper but all very wide, well lit, some windows, even dioramas set up of folks in period costumes and lots of good explanations on plaques. We were on a ship excursion and had a good guide. I'm very glad we got to do it. I hope you do too. Enjoy. m--