OK.. .need some suggestions

Perseids

I think Kenai Fjords is out. Wife won't want to get up @ 4am for a 3 hour drive I don't think.

Now I am looking for things to do in Anchorage for a day. Are any of these worth doing? Blackstone Glacier, Portage Glacier. Resurrection Bay in Seward. Other worthwhile suggestions are WELCOME.

This is hard to research everything and decide. It is a once in a lifetime vacation for us and want to get the biggest bang for our buck(unfortunately it is a small buck).

I think Kenai Fjords is out. Wife won't want to get up @ 4am for a 3 hour drive I don't think.

Now I am looking for things to do in Anchorage for a day. Are any of these worth doing? Blackstone Glacier, Portage Glacier. Resurrection Bay in Seward. Other worthwhile suggestions are WELCOME.

This is hard to research everything and decide. It is a once in a lifetime vacation for us and want to get the biggest bang for our buck(unfortunately it is a small buck).

If you've not already planned to do so, you might want to check in into the Alaska Native Heritage Center. Also, we very much enjoyed the Portage Glacier. Plus, can you still visit Exit Glacier in Seward, and the Alaska SeaLife Center? What ever you do, you'll have a great time.

If you've not already planned to do so, you might want to check in into the Alaska Native Heritage Center. Also, we very much enjoyed the Portage Glacier. Plus, can you still visit Exit Glacier in Seward, and the Alaska SeaLife Center? What ever you do, you'll have a great time.

I will have to check on Exit Glacier, but I doubt it. To make our flight @ 8:30 from ANC a Seward tour would have to end no later than 2 or 3 pm.

Please post more details of your cruise and itinerary--it's difficult to understand where you are, when you be there and what you want to do.

We will be onboard Carnival Spirit. Arrive Whittier @ 7am on 06-07-06. Will be using Carnival's transfer from Whittier to Anchorage, I suspect we will arrive in Anc. noon or 1pm on 7th. We will be spending the nite @ Barrat Best Western in Anc. We will check out of the hotel and then have most the day to do something. I am prob. planning on renting a car on the 7th. Our flight leaves ANC @ 8:30pm on the 8th.

We will be onboard Carnival Spirit. Arrive Whittier @ 7am on 06-07-06. Will be using Carnival's transfer from Whittier to Anchorage, I suspect we will arrive in Anc. noon or 1pm on 7th. We will be spending the nite @ Barrat Best Western in Anc. We will check out of the hotel and then have most the day to do something. I am prob. planning on renting a car on the 7th. Our flight leaves ANC @ 8:30pm on the 8th.

Instead of using the Carnival transfer on 6/7/06, what about renting a car in Whittier (Avis) and driving to Seward? You could get away from Whittier sooner than you would if you had to wait on the transfer. That way, you could do Exit Glacier, Sea Life Center, etc. in the Seward area on 6/7/06, and maybe even have time for the evening Kenai Fjords tour. Spend that night in Seward (they have some reasonable priced B&B's) and return the car to Anchorage on the day of your flight. It is a little more $$ to rent the car ($100 drop off fee), but you would get more "bang for your buck" that way. IMHO, the Seward area is far superior to Anchorage as far as activities. :)

Instead of using the Carnival transfer on 6/7/06, what about renting a car in Whittier (Avis) and driving to Seward? You could get away from Whittier sooner than you would if you had to wait on the transfer. That way, you could do Exit Glacier, Sea Life Center, etc. in the Seward area on 6/7/06, and maybe even have time for the evening Kenai Fjords tour. Spend that night in Seward (they have some reasonable priced B&B's) and return the car to Anchorage on the day of your flight. It is a little more $$ to rent the car ($100 drop off fee), but you would get more "bang for your buck" that way. IMHO, the Seward area is far superior to Anchorage as far as activities. :)

Already have reservations in Anc. for that nite. I'm thinking it would be a hassle to cancel transfers. It may not be I don't know. Might be worth checking into.

Perhaps consider dropping the Carnival transfer and booking the Alaska Railroad to Anchorage the evening of disembarkation, and spend the day taking a tour out of Whittier. You can find several by searching for 'prince william sound tours'. We thoroughly enjoyed the railroad transfer last year and the difference in price is quite minimal compared to the cruiseline transfer.

We're taking the Renoun Tours Kenai Fjords 6-hr trip this year, and I'm still trying to work in that Prince Willam Sound glacier cruise I had my heart set on, as well. So much to do, so little time...!

I agree that you should cancel the Carnival transfer and spend more time in Whittier/Seward, and take the Alaska RR to Anchorage later. In fact, that's what our family will be doing.

Already have reservations in Anc. for that nite. I'm thinking it would be a hassle to cancel transfers. It may not be I don't know. Might be worth checking into.

I posted to you on another thread- Sorry- but if you want to make the most of your short time, forget your cruiseline transfer and consider as I suggest to get you to Seward for superior touring options.

This trip is not about your hotel reservation or the transfer, make the most of your being in Alaska. My opinion only- let the flames begin. :)

Copied and reposted-

But as noted above, I would NOT be doing the backtracking you have listed. I would go direct to Seward from Whittier and overnight in Seward. Rent a one way car from Harley's or Avis, costly but makes way better use of your short time.

There are also shuttle service if a better option for you.

You will be there in time for that 11:30 am trip- easy- if you get going in the am and make the 8am tunnel.

I would strongly suggest you consider taking the Alaska RR back to Anchorage that night if you do NOT rent the car. Otherwise, having a car will offer GREAT touring options for your next day after overnighting in Seward. The drive to Anchorage is endless scenery.

Consider this option- it's very doable and offers you one of the top highlights in Alaska- Kenai fjords.

If I am reading the AK RR schedule correctly, it will not get us to Anc. in time for our 8:30pm flight on the 8th.

It also looks to me like the AK RR leaves Seward before we would be done with the Kenai Fjords tour... or am i misunderstanding or misreading???

Okay, let me spell it out. Based on your itinerary, I think everyone is saying this:

6/7/06

7 am-Carnival Spirit arrives Whittier; transfer to Seward

Morning: In Seward at leisure

11 am - take Kenai Fjord cruise or other Seward activities

6 pm - take Alaska RR to Anchorage (yes, you have time to make this train after the cruise!!!)

10 pm - arrive and overnight in Anchorage

6/8/06

- Morning and afternoon in Anchorage at your leisure. If you get a car for the day, more options are available to you.

8:30 pm - Fly home

Lindalo's recomm to rent car in Whittier and drive to Seward and spend night mazimizes your time and your trip. Taking the night train back to Anc loses you another half day of sightseeing and takes almost five hours to get there rather than 3hrs. Exit Glacier and Seward tours especially Kenai Fjords NP tour are much better than going to Portage Glacier (still worth short stop).

Carnival transfers and hotel reservation which you can cancel should not be dictating your vacation. And next time, hopefully, you will allow more time pre or post cruise to see the rest of Alaska.

Okay, let me spell it out. Based on your itinerary, I think everyone is saying this:

6/7/06

7 am-Carnival Spirit arrives Whittier; transfer to Seward

Morning: In Seward at leisure

11 am - take Kenai Fjord cruise or other Seward activities

6 pm - take Alaska RR to Anchorage (yes, you have time to make this train after the cruise!!!)

10 pm - arrive and overnight in Anchorage

6/8/06

- Morning and afternoon in Anchorage at your leisure. If you get a car for the day, more options are available to you.

8:30 pm - Fly home

COASTAL CLASSIC TRAIN - 2006 Summer Schedule

READ DOWN MILE CITY READ UP

6:45 AM 114.3 Anchorage 10:15 PM

8:05 AM 74.5 Girdwood 8:55 PM

11:05 AM 0 Seward 6:00 PM

ok... so the above schedule reads is read columwise.. meaning leave Seward @ 6pm and arrive Anc. 10:15... I thought it meant leave Seward 11:05 and arrive Anc. 10:15...

As I said.. i was misreading the schedule.. thank your for the clearification!

My wife works for one of the companies that offer the cruises and there are multiple departures from Seward from a number of companies. Kenai Fjords Tours is the "big guy" with the most departures but you also have Renown, Major Marine, Allen Marine, and Mariah Tours all offering cruises.

For something closer to Anchorage, try Phillips 26 Glaciers Tours, Prince William Sound Cruises and Tours, and Major Marine out of Whittier. They offer half-day cruises into Port Wells, Blackstone Bay, Esther Passage, Barry Arm and College Fjord.

If you don't wish to drive from Anchorage, the Alaska Railroad offers one-day packages to both Whittier and Seward that include the cruise. If you rent a car, you can do the cruises out of Whittier easily in a day from Anchorage. While a one day can be done to Seward as well, it is much easier on the mind and body to spend a night before or after the day cruise. Otherwise, it is a very long day.

Not to sound stupid... but, I do not see a Kenai Fjords tour leaving @ 11am... I see 8am, 10am, 11:30am and 3pm.. I did see other cruises with other vendors.. but as with kenaifjords.com it looks like they finish @ 5:30 which only leaves 30 min. to catch the train.

I know you said "Yes, you will have time to catch the train after the cruise" but is this a POSITIVE statement? or a "You SHOULD have time"??? I would hate to have to pay $300 to rent a car to drive to Anc. that nite bcuz we were 10 min. late to catch the AK RR...

Many of the cruise tours are coordinated with the train departure--we're doing the 11 am 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruise through Renown (http://www.renowntours.com/) but there are many others.

And if you don't want to take my word for it, you can book both together as a package directly from Alaska RR: http://www.akrr.com/arrc253.html or via your Kenai Fjords Tours that you just mentioned.

Many of the cruise tours are coordinated with the train departure--we're doing the 11 am 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruise through Renown (http://www.renowntours.com/) but there are many others.

And if you don't want to take my word for it, you can book both together as a package directly from Alaska RR: http://www.akrr.com/arrc253.html or via your Kenai Fjords Tours that you just mentioned.

Yes, I have seen many 'package' deals containing transportation... I am/have been assured that you can catch the AK RR after the Kenai Fjords tours...

Sigh... Now it looks like the dilemma may be whether I can get from Whittier to Seward in time for an 11am or 11:30 Kenai Fjord NP tour.

Our ship, Carnival Spirit, arrives Whittier 7am I figure best case scenario we will be off the boat 8:30 or 9am... it is looking like a crap shoot... :(

This is killing me!!! If I book the KFNP tour and we don't make it... there is $800 shot to H#$@....

I would think you should be able to make it from Whittier to Seward in time but I've never done it. Perhaps some locals or experienced travelers could offer some advice...

As an alternative, don't pre-book the Kenai Fjords cruise and book it only when you arrive (space available). In the worst case, you will be in Seward with many other things to do anyhow!

Anyhow, I suggest you call some of the tour operators--they may be able to work with you, e.g. allow you to reserve/book but give you a refund if your transfer is delayed?

Yes, I have seen many 'package' deals containing transportation... I am/have been assured that you can catch the AK RR after the Kenai Fjords tours...

Sigh... Now it looks like the dilemma may be whether I can get from Whittier to Seward in time for an 11am or 11:30 Kenai Fjord NP tour.

Our ship, Carnival Spirit, arrives Whittier 7am I figure best case scenario we will be off the boat 8:30 or 9am... it is looking like a crap shoot... :(

This is killing me!!! If I book the KFNP tour and we don't make it... there is $800 shot to H#$@....

I'm getting really confused. To my knowledge, there are no regular shuttles, tours, etc. which depart Whittier and go to Seward. You may be able to arrange transportation from either of these two companies. http://www.pjstaxi.com/ or http://home.gci.net/~twodogs/

You may need to rent a car to get from Whittier to Seward. As Budget Queen posted, Avis or Harley's.

If you rent a car, spend the night in Seward, enjoy your morning in Seward, drive to Anchorage with a couple of stops along the way, and return the car to Anchorage. Certainly not the cheapest way to do this, but at least you have dependable transport.

I would think you should be able to make it from Whittier to Seward in time but I've never done it. Perhaps some locals or experienced travelers could offer some advice...

As an alternative, don't pre-book the Kenai Fjords cruise and book it only when you arrive (space available). In the worst case, you will be in Seward with many other things to do anyhow!

Anyhow, I suggest you call some of the tour operators--they may be able to work with you, e.g. allow you to reserve/book but give you a refund if your transfer is delayed?

Yes, I am hoping someone local or experienced traveller will weigh in on this subject... Tour Ops. told me once booked if it is inside of 15 days it is non-refundable.

I'm getting really confused. To my knowledge, there are no regular shuttles, tours, etc. which depart Whittier and go to Seward. You may be able to arrange transportation from either of these two companies. http://www.pjstaxi.com/ or http://home.gci.net/~twodogs/

You may need to rent a car to get from Whittier to Seward. As Budget Queen posted, Avis or Harley's.

If you rent a car, spend the night in Seward, enjoy your morning in Seward, drive to Anchorage with a couple of stops along the way, and return the car to Anchorage. Certainly not the cheapest way to do this, but at least you have dependable transport.

Yes, I know overnighting in Seward is an option.. I was trying to avoid having to cancel my reservations in Anc. and kind aliked the idea of taking the AK RR to Anchorage. If we overnite in Seward the RR is out.

Yes, I know overnighting in Seward is an option.. I was trying to avoid having to cancel my reservations in Anc. and kind aliked the idea of taking the AK RR to Anchorage. If we overnite in Seward the RR is out.

Then call the two companies I listed, see if they can get you to Seward. In fact, I just looked at the two dogs website-they have the EXACT tour you want. Then book one of the Kenai Fjords/RR tours and you are set. Enjoy!!!

http://home.gci.net/~twodogs/seward.html

Last year we were about the last ones to disembark at Whittier. We left the ship at about 9:00 a.m. and it was pretty empty at that time. We were trying to kill time because we were going to catch the 12:00 train out of Whittier for the Grandview tour. You should have no problem getting off the ship by 8:00 a.m. If you want to, you can keep your luggage and self disembark, rather than setting the luggage outside your door and letting Carnival handle it. If you want to rent a car, you can let the family stay with the luggage at the pier while you take the short walk over to Avis. Like the previous poster suggested, you could call the tour operator in Seward, tell them you will be driving from Whittier, and see if they think there will be a problem making the 11:30 Kenai cruise. Don't despair--you will get it worked out!! :)

Archived