Anchorage to Seward transfers

ShrinkinTexas

We are on the Radiance on the 17th of June out of Seward and want to try and beat the rush of everyone getting to the ship. We will have spent the night in Seward, so we can get to the pier whenever. For the majority of passengers who are coming on (who are just now flying into Alaska) how do they get to Seward? Via the train from Anchorage?? If so, I think there is only one train that arrives around 11:00a, right? I envision that if I showed up at the pier at 11:30 I would be standing there with an extra 500 people who have just gotten off that train. Is this right???????? So, if we want to be on the ship early, should we be at the pier at 11:00 instead of 11:30? I read last year where people were able to board at this time without any problems. We will have already spent time touring Seward and will be ready to board the ship. Any suggestions?

Since the Radiance gets into Seward at 7am that morning and departs at 9pm that evening, odds are you won't be able to board until sometime in the afternoon. When we took the Radiance from Vancouver last summer, we were allowed to board at 1pm for a 5pm departure.

The train you are referring to is a daily run to Seward open to anyone. It is timed to connect with the 11:30am tours of Kenai Fjords and Resurrection Bay.

Many cruise companies run special trains direct from the Anchorage airport or transfer passengers from the airport by bus. Passengers are met at the airport by cruise agents who facilitate the transfer. These are open only to passengers booked on the ship.

Those on a land tour who have spent the night in Anchorage are usually transfered from their Anchorage hotels to Seward but rarely arrive before the afternoon.

Since you are arriving the night before, relax and enjoy Seward during the day before you board. Take some time to visit the Sealife Center or go to Exit Glacier by tour. Since the Radiance doesn't leave until 9pm, you'd even have time for a six-hour Kenai Fjords cruise.

It is interesting to note that the info you are looking for, is contained within our sailing thread. If you read your DOCS very carefully, you'll note that boarding is NOT before 6:00 PM. There is a slight possibility that you may be able to board just a little earlier, just don't plan on it.

I think the info you obtained from the previous poster is very good info!

We are very sorry that we haven't heard from you on our thread:confused:

The majority of the passengers arrive by buses in the afternoon 3-6pm and there is also a special cruise contracted train that arrives around 6pm. Some passengers do arrive by the regular 11:00am train.

Unless you arrive around 11:30am, 6pm or when a bunch of buses arrive, you shouldn't have any lines. The buses are generally spaced out pretty well.

You can drop off your luggage at the big white bin outside of the terminal anytime starting that morning. Embarkation usually starts around 2-3pm but I have seen them allow passengers on earlier.

I suggest heading there around 10:30am if you want to be one of the 1st. The luggage representatives at the white bin will tell you exactly what time you can board/check in that day. I have seen before noon too. All depends on how fast the crew is ready.

Are we certain about the early luggage drop off? RCCL's CSR tells us that there are no early drop off bins "since 9/11" and that you are on your own with luggage until 6PM. My wife and I are also on the June 17th ROS sailing (no kids - 20th anniv!) and have decided to drive to Seward the night before after our Friday flight from NYC to ANC (one way Hertz rental $150). We will likely do the Kenai tour and leave our luggage with the hotel (Edgewater) after check-out until we board after 6PM. The tour operator also will hold the luggage all day if we needeed them to, I believe.

Thanks to everyone on these boards for all the excellent tips and insight!

Are we certain about the early luggage drop off? RCCL's CSR tells us that there are no early drop off bins "since 9/11" and that you are on your own with luggage until 6PM. My wife and I are also on the June 17th ROS sailing (no kids - 20th anniv!) and have decided to drive to Seward the night before after our Friday flight from NYC to ANC (one way Hertz rental $150). We will likely do the Kenai tour and leave our luggage with the hotel (Edgewater) after check-out until we board after 6PM. The tour operator also will hold the luggage all day if we needeed them to, I believe.

Thanks to everyone on these boards for all the excellent tips and insight!

Yes, I'm certain that you can drop off your luggage anytime of the day of your sailing. After it is put in the bin, it then goes through security (x-ray) and delivered to your room. Nothing had changed with the 1st ship last Sunday. :)

Just a short "word to the wise"! Make sure that ALL luggage is off the ship and gone before you give your bags to the porters dockside. You wouldn't want to have your bags left behind for the last group that got off the ship! This has happened before, even with different luggage tags.

Archived