Beautiful Montreal

We are visiting beautiful Montreal for the first time. We are there from 7 a.m till 4 p.m. on a Saturday the first part of June. We would certainly appreciate any suggestions on what we should see, do, and eat. I work for Disneyworld and I often go to the Canada Pavilion to see the 360 show about Canada. The pictures they show of Montreal are gorgeous. I can't wait to see this city - wish we had more time there but we are on a cruise. Thanks in advance for any suggestions for a day visit.

Your ship will be docked rght beside the nicest part of the city , Old Montreal . You could easily walk around the area and spend a big part of the day !

This self guided tour by Frommers is could be very useful :

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/montreal/0018020033.html

If the weather is not nice and if you enjoy shopping , the underground network of stores of Montreal is famous ! Best access is by Place Bonaventure about 2 miles from your ship !

• 3 weeks later...

Montréal is like any big city with the exception of old Montréal down by the river. This would be the area to concentrate on since you have only a few hours in port.

It is quite, quite charming, bustling with activity up and down the narrow streets. Buskers and sidewalk artists, patios for people watching while enjoying a meal, not to mention the unique architecture dating back a few hundred years.There is also many shops ranging from tacky souvenir stands to upscale art gallery and bric-a-brac stores.

Also you can take a "caleche" ride (horse-drawn carriage) around the area while listening to your guide/driver narrating off historical facts. You can easily burn a few hours there just wandering around.

A great place for lunch is "Modavie" in the heart of old Montréal. Try to get a table by the open windows and watch the world go by.... Google it.

If you are a shopper then head up to Saint-Catherine street, a shopping mecca that will leave a little dent in your wallet. If you are in this area at lunch time and don't mind splashing out a bit for a memorable meal, head to "Le pois penché". Google it to see just why....

All in all , old Montréal is your best choice just for its uniqueness...

Hope this has helped.

Since I'm an innkeeper, I am precluded from making suggestions. But be aware that Old Montreal is some of the most expensive property in all of Canada, so the prices are high as well. You are best to check out the reputation of anything inexpensive in Old Montreal. It's also a little like staying in "Disney" as is downtown as they are both really places where people go, not places where very many people live. In Old Montreal expect stores that cater to tourists and restaurants as well. If the price is inexpensive in a restaurant, there is a reason. Again, where property is expensive, the prices will be as well.

Since I'm an innkeeper, I am precluded from making suggestions. But be aware that Old Montreal is some of the most expensive property in all of Canada, so the prices are high as well. You are best to check out the reputation of anything inexpensive in Old Montreal. It's also a little like staying in "Disney" as is downtown as they are both really places where people go, not places where very many people live. In Old Montreal expect stores that cater to tourists and restaurants as well. If the price is inexpensive in a restaurant, there is a reason. Again, where property is expensive, the prices will be as well.

Hmmm. Interesting. When we go to Disney, we always stay on property because we like being in the center of the action! However the idea of staying more where people live is also appealing. I suppose it will all boil down to how much actual time we have to spend in Montreal. I'm sure it will be shorter than we'd like! Do you have suggestions of other areas of Montreal rather than Old Montreal?

hôtel le dauphin montréal centre-ville

Has anyone stayed at that hotel? Any thoughts or opinions? I read some good reviews on a trip site.

Hmmm. Interesting. When we go to Disney, we always stay on property because we like being in the center of the action! However the idea of staying more where people live is also appealing. I suppose it will all boil down to how much actual time we have to spend in Montreal. I'm sure it will be shorter than we'd like! Do you have suggestions of other areas of Montreal rather than Old Montreal?

hôtel le dauphin montréal centre-ville

Has anyone stayed at that hotel? Any thoughts or opinions? I read some good reviews on a trip site.

I can't suggest hotels or B&Bs at all. Not allowed on here because I'm an innkeeper.

If your intent is to see the sights and be done with it, then Old Montreal is the place to do it. But staying in Disney didn't mean that you saw Orlando.

Ephraim, I understand that you can't comment on the hotel I asked about. I'm hoping someone else can. I was hoping you could suggest an area of Montreal that might be nice, without mentioning any specific hotels.

If you want to experience the real Montreal, then stay in the Plateau. If that is too expensive, the Village (short for Gay village, but don't worry about it, it's just where the clubs are, no discrimination around here.) They both offer more of a real authentic city experience.

But if time is limited, then Old Montreal is best, since you are in the historic part of the city. But you will pay dearly.

Also, there are a few very special festivals and weekends in Montreal, so prices, availability and minimum stays may vary. For example, Grand Prix weekend, Jazz Festival and any Canadian or American long weekend. (For example, the first weekend in August is a long weekend in much of Canada, so prices will be higher.)

I agree with Ephraim that Old Montreal is more a destination than a residence, but there are options - clean, reasonably-priced, and even a passable breakfast can be found in the old town at Springhill Suites. For a short break where you'll be doing a lot of wandering the old town, this is an ideal hotel.

If you want a fancier hotel, then the Intercontinental is the closest one I can personally recommend - walk through the back of the hotel (ask the staff - the signs are pretty small) toward Rue St Jacques and you can wend your way along lovely little streets right down to the Old Port. It's extremely business-focused, so they often have good 'tourist' rates on weekends.

My fave diner in Montreal is under two minutes walk away from the IC - Le Gros Jambon - and right across the road from Toqué!, a long-time staple of the Montreal fine dining scene. Although visiting Montreal without visiting APdC or Schwartz's would be sacrilicious (pun intended) for me...

I agree with Ephraim that Old Montreal is more a destination than a residence, but there are options - clean, reasonably-priced, and even a passable breakfast can be found in the old town at Springhill Suites. For a short break where you'll be doing a lot of wandering the old town, this is an ideal hotel.

If you want a fancier hotel, then the Intercontinental is the closest one I can personally recommend - walk through the back of the hotel (ask the staff - the signs are pretty small) toward Rue St Jacques and you can wend your way along lovely little streets right down to the Old Port. It's extremely business-focused, so they often have good 'tourist' rates on weekends.

My fave diner in Montreal is under two minutes walk away from the IC - Le Gros Jambon - and right across the road from Toqué!, a long-time staple of the Montreal fine dining scene. Although visiting Montreal without visiting APdC or Schwartz's would be sacrilicious (pun intended) for me...

Never been to Le Gros Jambon, but I normally wouldn't send anyone to Toque since it's expensive and seem more businessman like than anything else. Of course Schwartz's, L'Express, Au Pied du Cochon, Pintxo and many more of Montreal's best restaurants are just steps away from my B&B. But be aware that other than Schwartz's, most of the famous and best restaurants need reservations. In the case of Au Pied du Cochon, Joe Beef, L'Express and even Maison Boloud, weeks in advance (they generally only take reservations 30 days in advance). And PdC's sugar shack takes reservations only on the 1st of December for the entire season. (Yes, they sell out in one day an entire season!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

You could also try the Hilton Bonaventure. A few blocks away from our Hockey arena ( bell center ).

Easy and fast access to old montreal as well. From place Bonaventure you have a huge underground network of shops and links to many buildings.

Many international stars go to schwart's when the are in montreal.... Some order schwart's and have it flown to them.... Don't miss it.

You have to taste or at least see a "poutine"

Depending on what date you are here, many festival and activities are offered..

Hi,

Springhill is sold out for May 31, but I will research the other area and Intercontinental this evening. We have four adults, so everything is pricier. I appreciate the suggestions!

At this date there is also the Montreal beer fest ( over 350 beers offered ), it is held once per year for 20 years now....

If that's your thing....

You are lucky the F1 grand prix is the week-end after ..... But many many many people fly in early to visit montreal.... You may have to pay $$ or stay a little further from downtown or old montreal.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions and information. It is truly appreciated.

At this date there is also the Montreal beer fest ( over 350 beers offered ), it is held once per year for 20 years now....

If that's your thing....

You are lucky the F1 grand prix is the week-end after ..... But many many many people fly in early to visit montreal.... You may have to pay $$ or stay a little further from downtown or old montreal.

Well that certainly explains why it was so hard to get a reservation!

and check out a guide in Library. Lots to do.We re going with HOHO bus to get to some of the major sites(pick up at pier).Some love them,others NOT.But we re challenged as to public transportation,it seems.In 1 day can only see a small amount of city,I know.;)

I love HOHO buses. I think it's a great way to see a city in a short period of time. This will give you a good sample of our beautiful city. I live in the suburbs now and miss the downtown action. I honestly didn't even know that we had a HOHO bus. I may try it out myself this summer. I love being a tourist in my own city :)

Well that certainly explains why it was so hard to get a reservation!

Check out the Hotel Nelligan. It's right in the middle of Old Montreal, walking distance to the port. It has a rooftop terrace (bar/restaurant) as well.

Hotel St. Paul is a good choice as well....:)

Archived