Lac Bay

racnwdow

Has anyone done Lac Bay? I was reading in a travel book that it is a great place to snorkel... If you can handle the 10-15 minute drive down the bumpy dirt road.

Wonder if taxi's will do it? How bad the road really is? And is the drive worth the beach over Klein Bonaire?

Just got back from Bonaire, where we took Windows to the Sea kayak tour at Lac Cai/Lac Bay. Due to the rain that morning, the road was in terrible condition, and our guide remarked that she would cancel the following day due to the condition. I'm not sure if taxis drive down there or not, but I know you could also contact the mangrove center there to ask about transportation options.

I will say that kayaking across the bay and through the mangroves was amazing and beautiful. We snorkeled down one of the mangrove "trails" and saw fish and corals, but it's not like a coral reef (at least in the mangroves). Klein Bonaire has the good reef snorkeling if that's what you're seeking.

• 4 months later...

We went to Lac bay on our first trip to Bonair.The beach is long and close to the water.The water is mild and calm.It was an easy drive by taxi and the same taxi picked us up for the return.This is a great place to try windsurfing.The water is waist high and breezy.There are rentals for just about any water activity.There is a nice beach bar.

Lac Bay is everything that's been discussed above - beautiful, windsurfing etc. However, not a great snorkeling location. It's all sand with no coral for a very, very long way out - therefore no fish to speak of in the shallows. I would recommend a trip to Klein with one of the snorkeling tours. You'll have a great time over there.

• 3 weeks later...