Last Minute Sail Day From Southampton

ste1200

Hi, I have been looking recently for a cruise for my wife and 4 year old daughter, but finding they are just going up and up in price, especially when there is limited cabins with sofa beds.

So I've had an idea. There are 3 large ships leaving from Southampton on the same day in the next couple of months. My idea is to travel to Southampton and try to see if there is last minute availability on one of the ships. Has anyone ever done this before and did you have any success ? Do they even allow people to book on same day ? Was the price a lot cheaper ? If all else fails, I'll get the ferry to France !

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I am not sure how it will go but over in Florida there are many that do very similar, just wait for a last minute on one of the many ships leaving from Fort Lauderdale or Miami, although they a normally still a week out from the sailing. Your fall back option is a good one too.

Any last minute sale has to be through a travel agent or directly with the cruise line, as certain checks have to be made before you can go on board. It is possible to ring in the morning and be on board in the afternoon, but you'd have to be ready with all your papers to fill in the passenger profile etc, and insurance. If you're accepted, then you'd go straight to the check in. There's no one on the dock side staff to sell places.

More usual is to ring at least the day before.

Your problem might be having a child with you- ships only take a certain number on board, so once that number is filled, then it's no go, I'm afraid. I've already heard of disappointed people who cannot get a child place during the school holidays this summer.

Good luck... it may be cheaper, but if it's the busy season, perhaps not...

Edited by jocap
addition