Photography with an iPad

philv

I got an iPad Air 2 for Christmas and wonder what people think about photography with an iPad. I always thought people looked stupid taking pictures with their iPads but the Air 2 has an 8 megapixel camera, my snapshot camera is 5 mp. I'm not talking professional level photography, just taking snapshots while cruising. Thoughts?

Edited by philv

I got an iPad Air 2 for Christmas and wonder what people think about photography with an iPad. I always thought people looked stupid taking pictures with their iPads but the Air 2 has an 8 megapixel camera, my snapshot camera is 5 mp. I'm not talking professional level photography, just taking snapshots while cruising. Thoughts?

The technical term for a tablet photographer is "Padhole" so, take it from there...:)

Actually, it does look a bit silly but times change and eventually people will be less critical of the practice. The only real issue it when there is a flock (gaggle? herd? pod?) of them gather in front of something and hold their tablets overhead blocking the view as they tap away. If you are comfortable with it and prefer to carry something the size of a tablet to take pictures, by all means go for it.

Even though the phone/pad cameras are pretty good these days, a cheap, modern point and shoot camera still trumps them for image quality and zoom versatility. Consider spending a couple hundred dollars for a much more versatile and compact solution.

Dave