Snorkeling with kids - shore or excursion?

sandkps

My kids (11 & 7) have done a decent bit of shore snorkeling and really enjoy it. They are both strong swimmers as well.

We're cruising again next month and I'm toying with the idea of booking a snorkeling excursion in Belize, but at their age I'm not sure it's worth it quite yet.

Those of you that snorkel with kids, at what age did you find they could handle (and enjoy) open water snorkeling as opposed to shore snorkeling?

Don't mean to sway you really one way or the other but in St. Thomas we decided to let our 4 go on the snorkeling excursion and let me tell you how scared Dad here was. I was good till they all jumed in the water and then I found myself trying to keep track of them. My wife took the youngest (10) with her and followed the group and left me with 3 and then next thing you know I coouldn't find my 14 yo Daughter and after a minuter she was back up on the boat laughing at me. Scariest day of my life I think.

With 2 kids you can keep better control of them so get them used to it and have a great cruise.

I honestly think it all depends on the water conditions on any given day. My daughter is now 8 years old and has been snorkeling since she was 3 years old...granted with goggles only, but that's how she likes it and can hold her breath forever. She has done both shore and open water. When you snorkel from an excursion, they will still be required to wear a life jacket for safety reasons. So, that helps. But, I have been on some and the water conditions were a little too rough (and pulling us away from the boat) a little too much for my liking. So, I would say it depends. If I get the chance for shore snorkeling, I would much rather do that for safety reasons (and keeping my sanity) and my daughter is an excellent swimmer now (and just learned to scuba dive). :)

There always seems to be some place you can find to snorkel from the shore, even if it's just a few things to see...but you never know.

• 2 weeks later...
Curacao has great shore snorkeling and I loved the blue room there and waters calm if you ever make it there. Have a great time on your cruise.

The water is calm if you make it there? The conditions required to dock the ship, and the conditions required for good diving, aren't always the same!

As for the Original Post... I don't think age matters as much as the weather does. For instance, some adults can't swim down 15 ft. to grab a lobster, but for an 8 year old in the Keys, that's normal... if you have calm seas and good visibility. If the weather is right, you shouldn't have any problems with an offshore excursion. Unfortunately, tour companies are often more concerned with revenue than customer comfort. They'll take you out in borderline conditions if you let them. In that situation, you should go shore snorkeling... which you won't really find in Belize City.