Looking for newbie advice

roysue

Our group has cruised many times but we are considering a 10 day on Royal Caribbean which departs from San Juan. We are looking for any helpful info including:

*Where does Royal depart from in San Juan? It seems there are 2 different ports

*What hotels would you suggest near the port?

*Are there any particulars about the area that we should be aware?

Any and all info appreciated!

Edited by roysue

• 2 weeks later...

RCI will embark at the Pan American pier. There is a Sheraton next to the convention center (be careful not to confuse it with the Sheraton in Old San Juan) which is the closest to that pier, but you will still need to take a cab to your ship. There really isn't much in that area to see, you would have to catch a cab to OSJ to do much sight seeing. Please let me know if you have anymore questions :)

Our group has cruised many times but we are considering a 10 day on Royal Caribbean which departs from San Juan. We are looking for any helpful info including:

*Where does Royal depart from in San Juan? It seems there are 2 different ports

*What hotels would you suggest near the port?

*Are there any particulars about the area that we should be aware?

Any and all info appreciated!

With regard to hotels, what is your budget?

Be realistic, as SJ hotels are known to be slightly higher than the norm.

Well, we are 2 couples. For Ft. Lauderdale departures, we like Embassy Suites. We are looking at Embassy Suites in San Juan as well. Not quite as concerned about price as safety and convenience. Any thoughts about this hotel? It would just be one night for pre-cruise.

Thanks!

My Mom, Sister and I stayed there precruise back in September, and we really liked this hotel. It was about a five minute ride from the airport, and if I remember correctly, about a 20 minute ride to the Pam Am pier (sorry I don't remember how much the cabs were). Everything about the hotel was nice a clean and the hot breakfast is really nice, with a good variety of things to choose from. There are always cabs waiting outside, so it's very easy to get transportation. I walked to a super market that was a few blocks away and never felt uncomfortable.

Well, we are 2 couples. For Ft. Lauderdale departures, we like Embassy Suites. We are looking at Embassy Suites in San Juan as well. Not quite as concerned about price as safety and convenience. Any thoughts about this hotel? It would just be one night for pre-cruise.

Thanks!

For the centre of the old town, then consider El Convento for a taste of OSJ. If one requires a beach and a more modern experience then look at La Concha.