Planning a Baltic cruise with a mobilty scooter

shoshana lady

We have a cruise planned next year out of London with stops in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg and Tallinn Estona.

My husband has walking problems and can not walk long distances, so he travels with a mobility scooter. He can walk up and down steps - he only needs it for distance.

I was hoping I could get some information about how difficult these ports will be for him. And, if anyone has been on this cruise and used private tour guides that they could recommend to us that can accomodate the scooter.

I look forward to your help.

We took this cruise in May, 2010 on the Emerald Princess. The problem with the ship's excursions are it is difficult to keep up with the guides if you are a slow walker and the bus used for the tour may or may not accomodate your scooter - Usually large buses have a hold underneath which will hold a scooter if it collapses. I used SPB tours in St. Petersburg and they were excellent. That said, don't expect to always find ramps or elevators. SPB will be very helpful and they will explain which venues are accessible or if there are steps how many etc. For your Scandinavian stops I would recommend an "easy" ships tour where you could leave the scooter on the ship and he could use a rollator or canes for the actual tour as they are easier handled on the bus. We stayed over in Copenhagen at the end of our tour and had a very easy time with our collapsible (travelscoot) scooter. There are bike lanes in Copenhagen which are quite easy to use. If you choose to stay in a hotel reserve early if you wish to get an accessible room.

Archived