Wheelchair in India

Waynetor

Our upcoming cruise includes Mumbai and Cochin India. My wife has trouble walking very far so uses a wheelchair to get around in port and excursions. The sip does not offer much that is low activity.

Any have experience getting around in these ports?

Our upcoming cruise includes Mumbai and Cochin India. My wife has trouble walking very far so uses a wheelchair to get around in port and excursions. The sip does not offer much that is low activity.

Any have experience getting around in these ports?

Don't know how much help this will be but since no one else has responded to your post it's better than nothing.

Been to India, specifically Mumbai and Cochin 7 years ago on business and not a cruise. However it needs to be stressed that though I was living with MS at the time I did not require the use of any mobility aids. In fact my employer didn't even know I had MS. With that said ,India is a tough place. Very crowded, traffic horrible, sides walks( if any ) are not so good and certainly no accessible features such as curb cut outs.

Personnally I would not do an independent tour or even take a taxi but that's just me. Though the cruise line does not offer any low activity tours would suggest that you still considing doing a tour sponsored by the cruise line . You can always evaluate the situation at each stop and determine a location that you and your wife will meet to rejoin the group if you can't keep up or do some of the activities. Just make certain that if you shedule a time and meeting place that you arrive 15-20 minutes before that time. It's better you wait for the group rather the group wait for you. Also make certain that you know where the group will be meeting the bus as that might even be easier for you to just return directly to the bus. I did this 4 years ago when I toured Estonia and Tunisia . The tour guide had no issues with it. The Bus driver was also very accommodating. The fact that I gave them half of a healthy tip up front didn't hurt.

Been to Mumbai, Cochin and Agra. It's not an easy place to have mobility problems. Much of India is still in the dark ages with regards to accessibility. Not a lot of curb cut outs in many areas. In tourist areas, and at the higher end hotels/resorts it will be accessible, but in some areas that some tourists frequent, it's pretty bad. Mumbai is more accessible than Cochin or Agra.

I would not do independent tours or go it alone in India as a disabled person, unless you can find a local tour company that caters to the mobility challenged. If you so a side trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal, like I did, you won't be able to get inside the Taj because there are absolutely no ramps, just a lot of stairs. But you do get a great view of the area and can sit and just take in all the beauty of the building.

Unfortunately, you really have to have a good set of legs to see India properly. But like I said, if you can find a local tour company that will assist the disabled, go with them.

GC - we are going on a long trip - 3 months with 69 days on a ship about 35 ports. There is only 1 excursion offered as fully accessable. So far I'm doing Petra without her but other ports we have something she can do. Its had to imagine how people with handicaps survive in some parts of the world.

Wayne

Archived