Question for Greatam

jeffw47

I have a cruise booked on Oceania going from Ath to FCO in early November 2007. I was wondering if you could let me know when would be the best time to start looking for a multi city flight out of DFW? Seems like I read where you suggested to start looking around July for fall flights. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Please post your exact dates and if you are looking specifically for the lowest possible price (which may involve multiple connections) or just a "good" price. I'll do a cursory check on available flights and then we can pinpoint further whether you should look for the sales which usually start in about mid July or whether now would be a good time to book. With an open jaw, the fare sales usually do not apply.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The exact dates are:

DFW - ATH November 2nd anytime of day.

FCO - DFW November 15th. I might have to stay an extra day because I don't get off the ship until 7:00 AM. If any flights after 10:00 AM on the 15th then I do not need the extra day. The cruise says I should be able to get to the airport(FCO) for 10:00 AM flights.

I think I would rather go with a good price. Or, whatever you think is the best.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

Jeff,

I might not have the experience that Greatam has but I did a quick check on the dates you posted. I used leaving Nov 1 flying into ATH and Nov 16 returning from FCO. I was rather suprised to see the cheapest at $831 thats not a bad price. However I think Greatam will have a respose flying Iberia Airlines. For an extra $40 I would grab the Luthansa flight. That 4 hour layover at FRA doesn't bother me. Good luck Tim

The best ,IMHO, I can find-United/Lufthansa combination-$856.00. Base fare-$658.00 (this is what you will use as your baseline for fare comparison) taxes and fees (which will not change except upward) are $198.00. I can get the price down to $623.00 all in, but that means 5 connections going and four coming home. Also have to book as 3 separate tickets which means you have to deal with European luggage requirements, which do not work well with cruise luggage. And you have to schlep the luggage around at the various airports.

Proposed Itinerary:

Leave DFW on Nov. 2 at 5:10PM-United flight 8865-nonstop to Frankfort.

Arrive Frankfort-Nov. 3 at 8:50AM. Change to Lufthansa flight 3382-leaving at 1:10PM, arrive 4:55PM in Athens.

On the return-November 15-there is a Lufthansa flight that leaves at 10:25 (IMHO, that's pushing it from a cruise) or one that leaves at 1:10PM. HOWEVER, both of these flights go to Frankfort for an overnight. The following morning, nonstop to DFW on Lufthansa flight 438. If you want to spend the night in Rome instead of Frankfort, there is a flight that leaves 7:05AM-Lufthansa 3853.

I have tried to replicate these flights on both the United and Lufthansa websites. Both come in at least $50.00 higher. Cheaptickets has the $856.00 price. What that indicates to me is that on one or more of the legs, Cheaptickets has some consolidator fares available.

The $856.00pp price is available at Cheaptickets today and is for Nov-2-15 as posted above or the early morning flight on Nov. 16.

I think this is a pretty good price. Athens and Rome are some of the most expensive European destinations. As an example, United is currently running a sale to Germany. From DFW to Frankfort, the price is almost $600.00 and travel must be completed by May 17. That price obviously doesn't get you to Athens or Rome either. If this was my trip, I would book it TODAY. No sense waiting for a "sale". JMHO Enjoy!!!

Pretty good information Greatam. Just a note if Jeff is looking at the over night in Frankfurt. I did an over night two years ago, the wife thought I was nuts but it really worked out nice. We had all day in Barcelona to do what we wanted to do and flew out at 7:30 PM. Arrived at the Frankfurt airport at alittle after 9:00 PM. There is a Hotel pick up phone at the front of terminal 1 departure area for hotels. I had previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express there and knew they had a shuttle. It cost 5 or 6 Euros one way and if you have to used the shuttle in the morning make sure you make a reservation at the front desk. In our case the luggge was sent through so there was no luggage to mess with and we only had our carry on to worry about. This May I will have to stay at a Rome Airport Hotel and I can tell you it will cost me four times the amount I paid in Frankfurt. I do hope this information will help should you do an over night in Frankfurt. Tim

Thanks guys for the exceptional information. I really appreciate both of you going the extra mile for the information. I think I better get booking. I think the fares are pretty good for an open jaw, but I just wasn't sure.

This kind of information is what makes this board so useful.

Thanks again for all of your time and help.

Jeff

Archived