May 1, 2011 Carnival Freedom Cruise

Shooter52

We are new to cruising and would like to get the best use of our time onboard and a shore. Any sugestions on the must do (see) and what not to do on the Freedom?

We are in our 50's and are (yes, believe it) on our Honeymoon.

Ft. Lauderdale - Key West - Grand Cayman - Ocho Rio, Jamaca - Ft. Lauderdale

I would take it easy the first cruise. Maybe do a couple of excursions and shop the other times and walk around the port, assuming you are able bodied.

For instance I walked Key West to the library and got free 30 minutes of internet time, then I walked to the southernmost rock in the US, (its far so most dont walk), and I walked by Hemingway's House and was able to walk a little ways into the yard and look at one of the 6 toed cats and the house, even if I didnt pay to go in etc. all FREE

Excursions are fun, but they really add to the price.

capachino and espresso are free in the dining room, but the upscale coffee in the shop is not free.

I walk all over a ship and get to know it and enjoy learning the ship first hand.

We are also doing this same cruise but not until June. We have been to Key West once before and it is lovely. I would suggest doing one of the trolly tours as it allows you to see the city and hear a little history. No need to book this through the cruise line as there is no problem getting tickets and it only takes about 1 1/2 hours. I have not ever been to the other 2 ports but have been doing quite a bit of research on the boards. The ship will give you a schedule of events every night. Do not try to do everything. Take a highlighter and highlight some things you may find interesting. Just relax and have a great time!

If you're able, explore Key West on foot. It's a laid back atmosphere with some fun outdoor bars, shopping, and museums. Something for everyone, and a lot to do and see within walking distance of the port. I don't see a need to pay for an excursion in Key West.

As far as the Caymans, it depends what you're in the mood for. If it's the beach, get yourself a cab ride to 7mi beach and just rent a chair and relax. I know it can get quite hot just laying on the beach though, be prepared. You may want to research the different beach areas depending on what you want (refreshments/pool/etc). If you're more adventurous I highly recommend the Stingray City Tour. You can book this with a private company once you get to shore for around $40pp. They'll take you out on a beautiful boat ride to a sandbar where you can feed and interact with stingrays, and then snorkeling.

In Ocho Rios I recommend Dunn's River Falls if you've never been there. Be prepared to get wet, and only do this if you're in decent physical shape, as it is challenging in places. You can book this excursion through Carnival or with a tour when you get off the boat for cheaper. It is usually a half day so you'll have beach or shopping time too! There is a great beach called Mohagany Beach a few miles from port if you're looking for something laid back with some reggae music. I highly recommend it. If you choose to do both, you can arrange for a tour to bring to Dunn's and then the beach and pick you up at an arranged time and bring you back to port for around $20 pp (not including the fee to get into Dunn's).

Enjoy your cruise! And congrats on your marriage!

Renee

Archived