Compensation Cuba Cruise

apuleius

As many CC readers are aware the 16 February sailing and associated SC package to Cuba was a complete shambles. Communication with the management has been extremely poor and no real apology has been made to their long suffering passengers - only a letter giving details of how they were amending the trip for future itineraries based on the information gleaned from our shambolic sailing.

Initially an offer of 50% refund on a future SC sailing was offered. This was accepted by some but others pushed for a bigger offer with cash alternative.

SC then reiterated their offer of 50% off future sailings or 40% cash refund on price actually paid for the sailing - as this was actually heavily discounted as part of the inclusive package taken by many passengers, this does not represent a great deal. However, as many people have no wish to to sail with SC again after this fiasco and their treatment (or rather lack of treatment) by the management they have agreed to accept the alternative cash offer.

Has anyone been offered anything different to the two offers outlined above?Is anyone considering ABTA arbitration or any other formal course of action?

Please post your experiences here. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

SC have extended the window for the 50% cruise discount - it can now be taken for a future sailing up to 2016/17. The 40% cash refund on the cruise still stands. Various amounts of cash compensation have been paid for transfer delay and disruption.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We've now settled with SC - took the cash refund plus cash compensation for the transfer delay. Virgin refunded our visa costs. We've booked another cruise - with a different company!

• 7 months later...

The sorry saga is documented on an earlier thread called 'anyone going to Cuba'. Running aground was just one of the many mishaps but it was SC's cavalier attitude to their paying passengers on that sailing that was the final straw. Never again ....

On 11 Jan 2015 cruise. All very smooth. Lovely weather, ship beautiful, Captain jolly, crew friendly and very efficient. Food excellent.

Spent first day at sea sailing up and down......there is nowhere else to go, and get the impression Cuban officials very firm about where they go. Ok as newbies found their sea legs, and old timers relaxed after the car crash city that is Havana.

Day 2 Ancona beach off Trinidad, Days 3 and 4 Caymans......Brac, and Grand, lovely Islands. Snorkling good off beach, and a wreck, though sea quite lumpy. Stingray trip plus turtle farm worth every penny. Day 5 Cayo Largo, amazing white soft sand beach..bar if needed swim with dolphins if you like. Did not move anchorage for last day at Cayo Rico next door. Beach BBQ, amazing work transferring lunch. In super covered bar, but beach very shallow (bright blue amazing clear water) and transfers long....its too shallow even for tenders at the end, so local boats used. Some complaints about this, but SC trying hard.

Each time we anchored, or went into port in Cuba, had 4 doctors out to take temps of everyone on board (Ebola) plus loads of people checking papers again and again. All before Ship was cleared...so 6.30 to 7.30am! Paperwork is a career in Cuba.

Overall it was lovely, a respite from Cuba which is dirt poor, food terrible, hygene worse, people friendly but only as long as tipped frequently, 2 people on our ship had been mugged in Havana in daylight. . We were 111 passengers, this week there are only 70. Star Clippers trying hard, but unless the US visitors are allowed I cannot see this continuing as an option.

I know people on that first cruise feel aggrieved, but I really feel its the Cuban officals who caused problems, now ironed out. Is it a cruise I would recommend? Only to people who don't like sailing much. The Windwards and Leewards involve much more variety and distance, however as part of a Cuban holiday its a bit of luxury amidst the chaos of Cuban resorts and hotels. Pleased I went, but stomach says I will not return to Cuba.