Is Sunday a bad day for Honolulu?

catwoman6226

Hi - we're considering two Princess cruises to Hawaii in 2017 - the days I prefer would put us in Honolulu on a Sunday. I tried searching but didn't come across any specific information about whether that might be a problem.

We definitely want to do Pearl Harbor/Arizona and then I don't know what else for the rest of the day (suggestions gladly accepted!)

Will we run into issues with things being closed or opening later/closing early because it's a Sunday? Thanks in advance!

Aloha CW,

Yea some things, especially downtown are closed. The Arizona is open unless it's thanksgiving or Christmas oh yea and New Years. Other than downtown and buses being on holiday schedule it's a nice day. Ala Moana and Ward thrives, the North Shore is still beautiful, and there's always a quiet place to relax.

Have Fun,

Will

If there are places you want to go to, then check on their website (or a good guidebook) as to when they're open. I believe the Bishop Museum is closed one weekday, for example. Same for the other islands. Rather than trying to figure out what's open, check for specific places instead.

Our most recent Hawaiian cruise (we did three on Princess), landed us in Hawaiian during Christmas week. The original day we were going to be in Honolulu would have been on Christmas Day. Since Pearl Harbor would be closed (as well as other attractions), Princess switched Honolulu and Lahaina. I had wanted to see Whalers Village (hadn't been there on a few previous times on Maui) so I checked their website and Facebook page, then sent an email. Turned out the shopping center would be open on Christmas Day so that's where we went, and most stores were open.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm for reserving Pearl Harbor tickets. Nothing closes around here .. way too reliant on the tourist $$ to close. I do believe that Polynesian Cultural Center is closed on Sunday's however.

I think you will have plenty to keep you busy....even if you just rent a car and take a self guided driving tour. Just be prepared for traffic.