Cruising Norwegian waters in summertime?

RMS Olympic

I am sailing to Norway on the Koningsdam late August 2016 round trip out of Amsterdam. Would like to know what weather is like and how to pack for excursions in Norway. When I sailed the Deutchsland out of Kiel Germany I found the weather much cooler than expected in July and could have left the shorts at home. For those that have sailed Norway, should cool weather clothing be my game plan?

Very excited to sail a new area, sail out of Amsterdam and all on a new ship....

Booked one of the new single outside cabins......although forward and on the first deck, the price was great. Knowing my cabin neighbors are also single may make finding pre dinner cocktail mates a bit easier:rolleyes:

So any other pointers on Norway touring would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

I am sailing to Norway on the Koningsdam late August 2016 round trip out of Amsterdam. Would like to know what weather is like and how to pack for excursions in Norway. When I sailed the Deutchsland out of Kiel Germany I found the weather much cooler than expected in July and could have left the shorts at home. For those that have sailed Norway, should cool weather clothing be my game plan?

Very excited to sail a new area, sail out of Amsterdam and all on a new ship....

Booked one of the new single outside cabins......although forward and on the first deck, the price was great. Knowing my cabin neighbors are also single may make finding pre dinner cocktail mates a bit easier:rolleyes:

Tom

It's probably best to be prepared for every eventuality!

We've sailed to the Norwegian Fjords in both May and July, and have had varying weather on both trips.

We've been sun bathing and enjoying the hot tubs on deck in May, but if you take an excursion that takes you close to a glacier you'll need some warmer clothing.

Friends were in the Fjords last week and had quite a bit of low cloud and rain - they were wearing jumpers/sweaters in most of their photos!

Whatever the weather, the scenery is stunning, and I'm sure you'll enjoy Norway!

Tom

well, we did a Norway Fjord Cruise last month (June) and the weather never went above 55, but also never went below 49. I wore Jeans and a hoodie over a t-shirt or a long sleeve shirt most days on excursions.

From the responses, I guess I will pack the same as for an Alaska cruise. As I sail next year on the 28th of August I will monitor the weather conditions this August to see what late summer is like keeping in mind there are no guarantees.

Evening attire is another issue as HAL is a bit less casual to begin with. If the majority of passengers are Europeans, my guess is that they will dress up in the evenings. Dragging two big pieces of luggage is a pain but may be necessary:cool:

Thanks for the information.......

In the meantime its get ready for the Wind Surf this December......should be lovely not to mention the water platform:D:D:D

• 2 months later...

Apart from Cunard and sometimes P&O, I wouldn't expect the dress code sailing out of Europe to be any different to anywhere else - although expect cool evenings so you may see more jackets at dinner than you would in the Caribbean.

You will probably find a high number of Americans, Canadians, and a few Australians and New Zealanders. Probably not so many Brits as there are lots of cruises to Norway ex UK.

The Dutch are generally quite informal, and other Europeans are likely to be flying in on budget airlines with a smaller luggage allowance than you.

And for daywear yes, take the clothing you would take for Alaska. Bergen has high rainfall, but I've also been there when it's been shorts and T-shirt weather.

Norway is beautiful, I never tire of it.

Edited by Nick_C

Just bought my airline tickets so I am committed to this cruise on the new Koningsdam. I will plan on packing like an Alaska cruise.......which I did a few years back in the month of September.

Per the comment concerning jackets, I guess I will just bring a couple of suits, sport jacket and a Tux. For excursions...a sweat shirt and light jacket sounds appropriate.

Like the character Charlotte Vale in Now Voyager....I must remember I am not a "commercial traveler":D:D:D......but I draw the line on butterflies:rolleyes:

Never thought I would make it to Norway.......its exciting to see something new. I sailed on the Deutchsland out of Kiel when she was new to the Baltics......loved the experience. The most memorable moment was sitting out on deck wrapped in a blanket and being served lobster soup accompanied with a glass of champagne....the steward even clicked his heels....woof! Alas this will not be the case on Holland America......but I can still order some champagne!:p

Thanks for the response.

Tom