Window Pie anyone?

Absolutely nothing to do with cruising and for that I apologise, but I do know what a friendly lot you are here on the Thomson board so thought I'd ask my question here.

I've just read a book set in the north of England and there is mention of making a Window Pie. I've never heard of it and can't find it on the internet. Has anyone here ever heard of it and can tell me what it is please? :confused:

Maybe they'll do it on one of our cruises so we can all have a taste!! :D

Absolutely nothing to do with cruising and for that I apologise, but I do know what a friendly lot you are here on the Thomson board so thought I'd ask my question here.

I've just read a book set in the north of England and there is mention of making a Window Pie. I've never heard of it and can't find it on the internet. Has anyone here ever heard of it and can tell me what it is please? :confused:

Hi Essexlass2

Could it perhaps be another name for a lattice pie where the tops has thin strips of pastry across the top and the filling can be seen.:)

Well I've lived in NE all my life and I've never heard of it, but I'll ask my Mam tomorrow.

Well I've lived in NE all my life and I've never heard of it, but I'll ask my Mam tomorrow.

Thanks happy V. My DH lived in the NE for many years and he'd never heard of it either. The story was actually set in Bolton which I think is Lancashire.

We live about 4 miles from Bolton and have never heard of it.

A "stand pie" up here is one of those large pork or beef pies that are about 8 or 9 inches in diameter, I think that word for them is only heard around Lancashire and Yorkshire.

They call the smaller pork pies "growlers" in some parts of West Yorkshire.

Don't get me started on muffins..... we have loads of different names for them up here.

well...my mother used to make what she called a 'stained glass tart'....a jam tart with pastry latices on top that when baked looked like a stained glass window.. my kids used to luv them..... better than jammie dodgers

Are you sure it's window and not widow's pie. I have heard of that one and it is basically made up with leftovers in a pastry pie as far as I can remember.

No, definitely Window Pie, but I am guessing that it could be a similar recipe and made with leftovers.

Isn't it strange that none of us have ever heard of it, but at least I'm not the only one! Although I live in the south-east, I knew there were lots of different names for various dishes in the north of England, but even my DH who lived up there for 15 years had never heard of it. I thought maybe some of you ladies who live up there would know of it, very strange.

I don't know if this is correct but I read somewhere that window pie is so called because back in time when a pie was made, due to no refrigeration, it was put in a window to cool off. I do not know when your book was set but if its a period story I suppose this would make some sense.

Hope you find out.

mollythedolly

Wow, thanks folks! I'm inclined to think that perhaps a little bit of lots of these replies are relevant because the story was set in the Second World War period when people didn't have refrigerators and food rationing was in place. I think it would probably have been made with leftovers being the contents of the pie.

I just love your pie Stevedeccaman - if there's any left, that'll do for me!! :D