Hilo Rental Car - picking up others at pier

Ron66

I was wondering if in Hilo if i go pickup a rental car at the airport, can I then come back to the pier to pickup the rest of my group or do they all need to go to the airport with me. If I can pick them back up at Hilo pier, where do you pick up at, Can you drive in like the Hilo hatties and Walmart shuttles inside the controlled area, or do they have to walk all the way out of the port ? I was also wondering if there was any short term parking at the port ?

Thinking I would go to VNP with everyone then comeback and drop some off at the ship while the rest go downtown Hilo and then return the car.

Thanks in advance for respones

We did a rental car but didn't try to drive back into the port. Taxi's and shuttles come and go, so you might be able to drive in after passing through the security checkpoint - ask before leaving the ship.

Look at Google maps - the harbor area is called the Department of Transportation Harbor. There is a US Customs and Border Protection site, so that would be the stopping point if there is one. Use "Street View" and drag the 'little man' to the road just before the US Customs location and you'll see what could be a gate. You'll also be able to see how small the port area is, so if there's any doubt, just pick a spot on the map and have your party walk outside the gate and meet you.