Best/Most useful souvenir from Alaska

Fengsters

Most likely when you return to your ship with the ulu knife, they will take it from you, give you a receipt and then you'll be able to pick it up at a designated spot near the end of your cruise.

I might suggest having it handy to surrender to the security folks as you re-board, rather than have them find it in the bags as they scan them through.

I have bought 3 of them up there. The first time it was just a cheap one but I used it so much and loved it, that the net time I bought a much nicer one with a hand carved stone handle, and bought another as a gift.

Most likely when you return to your ship with the ulu knife, they will take it from you, give you a receipt and then you'll be able to pick it up at a designated spot near the end of your cruise.

I might suggest having it handy to surrender to the security folks as you re-board, rather than have them find it in the bags as they scan them through.

I have bought 3 of them up there. The first time it was just a cheap one but I used it so much and loved it, that the net time I bought a much nicer one with a hand carved stone handle, and bought another as a gift.

Hikini, where did you buy yours and about how much did the nice one cost?

I bought 4 Ulu knives on our June cruise. Did not have any of them confiscated. We cruised with NCL. All were made in Alaska and not the cheap China brand.

Edited by Ontario cruise duo

Whatever you buy, look for the "made in Alaska" identification. If it looks like something made by Alaskan indigenous peoples, there is another identification that confirms this.

Made in Alaska

made_in_alaska.gif

Made by an Alaska Native (Silver Hand)

silver_hand.gif

We cruised on the Celebrity Millennium last June and we turned the Ulu knives over to Celebrity when we boarded. We were given a receipt and given the knives back on the final night of the cruise.
Guess it varies depending on who happens to be working security at the time you board the ship.

Airport security is a lot stricter than cruise ship security.

We have brought on Ulu knives several times packaged in their original boxes, and they were never held by ship security.

We took them right back to our cabin and packed them in our checked luggage for the trip home.

But if needing to fly and traveling with hand luggage only, then we would mail them because they they would be extremely unlikely to get past airport security in carry-on luggage.

Hikini, where did you buy yours and about how much did the nice one cost?

I got the nice one (Jade handle and sheath) from a shop at one end of Creek Street in Ketchikan. I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around $150.