Dover to Southampton

nadalina

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but could someone please tell me what is the best way to get from the cruise terminal in Dover to the cruise terminal in Southampton? I will be disembarking one cruise in Dover and embarking another cruise on the same day in Southampton. Obviously, time is critical but it appears to be quite a long distance and hiring a private taxi or other car service would, I'm sure, be extremely expensive. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Peggy

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but could someone please tell me what is the best way to get from the cruise terminal in Dover to the cruise terminal in Southampton? I will be disembarking one cruise in Dover and embarking another cruise on the same day in Southampton. Obviously, time is critical but it appears to be quite a long distance and hiring a private taxi or other car service would, I'm sure, be extremely expensive. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Peggy

Rent a car from EUROPCAR/National - if it is a Weekday!!!

The Car Rental Location in Dover is just at the exit of the port.

In Southampton if you are leaving from City Center Terminal (NCL/RCI): you can return the car at Ibis Hotel (but this might changed due to merger Europcar/National).

In preparation to own transportation problem which I have to solve I get all brochures from my previous cruises: you can also try:

Victory Cars: victorycars@lineone.net

Star Taxis: http://www.startaxis.com/contact.php

Regards,

HeinBloed

We drove already ourselves - it's about 3 hours by car.

Another option: use the ship's shuttle to Gatwick and connect to the next ship's shuttle from Gatwick.

HeinBloed's idea is probably the best, but if you are not happy driving on the 'right' side of the road you can do it by train. Get a taxi to Dover Priory station (£5). Get on a London bound train and get off at Waterloo East. It is then a 3 or 4 minute walk (all under cover) to the main Waterloo station where you can catch a train to Southampton Central. Then you can either walk to the cruise terminal or its a £5 taxi ride. Total train fare at the moment is £50.40, but you may well get this cheaper nearer your travel date. Just check the fares at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ . Travel time station to station 3 1/2 hrs, you should do the whole thing in 4 hrs.

Simon

The problem is that August 23 is on a Sunday, and, unless I am reading the train schedules incorrectly, there does not appear to be train service that would work from a timing standpoint. I see many more options on weekdays but not on Sundays. Am I correct? The cruise out of Southampton sails at 4:00 p.m. and I believe they want all guests onboard at least one and one-half hours prior to sailing, which would be by 2:30. Can we rent a car on Sunday in Dover and drop it in Southampton?

Ah, the joys of the British transport system on Sundays!! Unfortunately the National Rail site only lets you check up to 12 weeks in advance, so thats one problem. Another is that lots of bits of lines get closed on weekends for engineering work, but again you can't check for 12 weeks, so I'm afraid you will have to wait until nearer the time. However, I did try a couple of 'dummy' Sundays, one in March and one in April. The one in March came up with no viable times, but the April one came up with leave Dover Priory at 0932 and arrive Soton at 1334, so this would be possible. All you can do is try nearer the time which would leave you 12 weeks to sort out a car or something if the trains didn't work.

Simon

The problem is that August 23 is on a Sunday, and, unless I am reading the train schedules incorrectly, there does not appear to be train service that would work from a timing standpoint. I see many more options on weekdays but not on Sundays. Am I correct? The cruise out of Southampton sails at 4:00 p.m. and I believe they want all guests onboard at least one and one-half hours prior to sailing, which would be by 2:30. Can we rent a car on Sunday in Dover and drop it in Southampton?

Try Europcar: http://www.europcar.co.uk - should be available with a surcharge on Sunday according to their website.

Enterprise, Hertz and Avis are all closed on this Sunday.

Normally it was possible to return the Car in Southampton at IBIS Hotel on Sunday. We did it with our last cruise in Fall 2008.

For the worst case: drop off first your bags at the cruise terminal and return the car at the airport in Southampton. Take a cab from there which was about 20 GBP or go directly to the Airport and use the cab.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you, All, for your replies and suggestions. Since the 23rd is on a Sunday, I think renting the car may be the most convenient, efficient and dependable solution. I can't tell you how much I depend on this Board and all of the helpful people who are always willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Thanks again!

Peggy

Sunday car rental will be the issue make sure you can get one and drop off.

Normal one way for a car that can take 2+ luggage was around £70 last time we did it.

The drive itself is very easy once you are out of Dover, it is motorway all the way to Southampton, the last bit is a main road and well sign posted to the terminals but does involve roundabouts, Sunday will be light traffic extras will be those heading for the cruise.

Long shot is to check(roll call) if anyone on the first cruise lives around southampton and has a big car they are leaving at Dover.

Sunday car rental will be the issue make sure you can get one and drop off.

It would work:

ECDOVSOU23082009-vi.jpg

I checked Europcar before I recommended this way.

So collection in Dover against additional fee. But as told: Europcar/National is just at the entrance to the Western Docks (Cruise Terminal).

Is it NORWEGIAN JADE you are going on?

They normally berth at City Center Terminal:

Then you can easily drive to Gate 10 in Southampton left turn to cruise terminal - and the end of the terminal to the right - deliver your bags.

Then you return the car: Gate 10 out - right - next left to the Shopping area and left to IBIS Hotel.

2008-Vent-10014-Europcar.jpg

Return car and drop the keys into the box in the hotel lobby.

2008-Vent-10015-Europcar.jpg

From here it's about 8 minutes to walk to the check-in hall of City Center Terminal.

It was just perfect.

You should also try National Car Rental. Accept also in the booking engine for August 23, 2009. But I am not sure if they accept return at Ibis Hotel as this is the former Europcar station.

BEFORE YOU BOOK FINALLY: WRITE ME AN E-MAIL - I CAN GIVE YOU OUR COMPANY'S DISCOUNT CODE. MAYBE IT WOULD HELP TO GET IT CHEAPER.

As told due to merger the station self was closed but we was allowed to return there. In the list it's still West Quay Road location.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed.... Wow! Thanks so much for all of this information and photos. Yes, it is the NCL Jade out of Southampton and disembarking the Crystal Symphony in Dover.

Let's talk again as we get closer to August.

Again, many thanks.

Peggy

Archived